TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New hope for defective and failing TT clusters, this includes gas gauges, tachs, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New hope for defective and failing TT clusters, this includes gas gauges, tachs, etc.

For those of us who have suffered long with the various and numerous issues with our defective instrument clusters (pods for those of you in the UK), I offer the following from the website of Green Welling LLP:

=====

Green Welling LLP Files Class Action Lawsuit Against Audi of America for Defective Instrument Clusters in Audi TT's Manufactured Prior To 2005

Green Welling notified Audi of our intention to file a class action lawsuit in connection with defective instrument clusters in Audi TT's manufactured prior to 2005. Audi responded that it refuses to provide a remedy for all California consumers that were injured, indicating it prefers to provide a repair or refund only to those consumers who make the most noise.

The instrument cluster in Audi TT's manufactured before 2005 appear to contain a defect that causes seemingly random malfunctions. For example, gas gauges show a 1/4 tank when the tank is empty; the tachometer bounces around or sits idle regardless of engine speed; the temperature gauge rests in one spot, then moves to another with no connection to the heat in the engine. Eventually the instruments in the TT's defective dashboard will stop working altogether - once the car is shut off, the car will not restart. Audi often blames the malfunctions on failed sensors or treats it as an isolated problem. Audi, however, appears to know the cause of the problem - a defective microprocessor - but does not want U.S. owners to find out.

Audi offered a recall on the defective instrument panels for all affected TT owners in the U.K., and offered to "treat sympathetically" U.K. owners who paid out of pocket for a replacement instrument panel. Audi refused to make the same offer to California consumers. We intend to bring a class action lawsuit that seeks to force Audi to extend the same offer in California, and to enforce Audi's warranty that it would provide Audi TT purchasers with a car free from defects.

Green Welling seeks to represent a class of all persons or entities, residing in California, who purchased or leased an Audi TT manufactured prior to 2005, or who paid for a replacement instrument panel(s) regardless of whether they still own or lease that vehicle.

If you own or lease an Audi TT manufactured before 2005 and would like to discuss your rights, or be a part of the Audi litigation, please direct your inquiries to Charles Marshall at (888) 610-4768 or by email: gw@classcounsel.com

=====

For legal purposes, I will note that the above is © 2005 Green Welling LLP. All Rights Reserved.

I have spoken with Chuck Marshall and he is seeking as much information as possible from owners and previous owners in the US (not limited to California). Basically, if you have some information that you believe might be of use or of interest, please give him a call or send him an email.

Current owners can provide information regarding odd, unexpected, abnormal behaviors (see above second paragraph of statement from website) with their instrument clusters, and also if they have had them replaced in the past due to any of these issues. This includes any owners for whom, like myself, replacement of the cluster was the only fix for an outright failure of the car.

Previous owners can provide information about their similar experiences with having their clusters replaced prior to sale or other disposal of the car.<ul><li><a href="http://www.classcounsel.com/news/audi.html">Green Welling LLP website page about TT cluster case</a></li></ul>
Old 08-15-2006, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Why limited to CA owners??

wouldnt a nation wide be stronger ??
Old 08-15-2006, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah... what he said!
Old 08-15-2006, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default All my cluster failures were replaced under warranty...>>>

Dealer service was prompt and there was no argument. IMO I do not see the need for a class action suit over clusters.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:14 PM

Should be US wide!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Why limited to CA owners??

It is *currently* limited to CA because that is where the law under which the filing is being made applies. My understanding is that all national class actions initially start out as a one-state filing.

I would urge you to contact them regarding information relative to the issue. It will help make a stronger case, and ultimately may propel it nationwide.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: All my cluster failures were replaced under warranty...>>>

While I am glad that all of your current issues were resolved *within* warranty, the point of this entire action is two-fold:

1. The clusters were defective from the time of manufacture, and Audi has not let anyone know about that and offered to replace them with clusters that are not defective at time of manufacture; and perhaps more importantly,

2. Many, many owners were misled into believing that the failing cluster was *not* the failing cluster but some other system (e.g., gas tank sending unit, temperature sending unit, speed sensor, etc.), and did not learn the true nature of the cause of the failures until *after* the warranty and expired.

This is not a case of "I did something stupid with my car and I am going to blame it on the manufacturer." This is a case of the car was broken when I bought it and the manufacturer, at least in my case and others, has done the best they could to divert suspicion to anything else they can. While I am dubious about many class actions, of this one I am not . . . and not simply because I am involved.

If I were in your shoes, I would count myself lucky at this point and hope that there is not a cluster in your car that is currently in the pool of affected instrumentation . . . destined for future failure. Without this action, it won't be pretty.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Likely so...

it can be tried in a state court first and avoid Audi trying to change venue to a court more favorable to them. Having won there, there would be prededent to bring a federal suit.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:56 PM

Default If you are still under warranty, get your cluster done ASAP

Probably the easiest way to get it done is by complaining about the gas gauge reading. Bring your car in with less than a full tank, so it would require the dealer to fill your tank up to verify--I have to believe they wouldn't bother and just replace the cluster.

I'm curious, though -- are there many people who haven't experienced ANY instrument cluster problems in the 2000 to 2004 model years?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:11 PM

not me...

Quick Reply: New hope for defective and failing TT clusters, this includes gas gauges, tachs, etc.