TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New Owner - several questions - help please?

Old 07-14-2001, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - several questions - help please?

I purchased my Amulett/aviator premium/bose 01 225TTC 07/02/01 bud did not take "final" delivery on the car until last night. (On 7/2 I noticed that the car had the bubbles/blobs of paint in the rain channels that have been mentioned here a few times, and I refused delivery until the channels were replaced).

The wait since the 2nd has been nigh unendurable, but, the car is now here, and I have questions.

1) I'm plan to install Invinca-shield. Is there any point in getting a good layer of Zaino down on the car before the install, or does the install (an alcohol and water based process I believe) remove any "wax" on the car? I can wait to wax the car until after the clear film is installed, but the idea of a good, hard, shiny base coat appeals to me.

2) Surge. There seems to be a great deal of surgines in this car. I'm migrating from a 98 A4 1.8tm, and I never noticed the turbo lag in that car. I've seen comments here about the DV as a culprit in surge related complaints, but I don't seem to have any of the honking/wooshing sounds that are discussed vis-a-vis the DV. Obviously the response characteristics in this car are going to differ from an A4, and I may well have been preconditioned "by reading this forum) to looking for DV related problems, but; a) Is surginess one of the character traits of this car? and b) What should I look for to diagnose DV problems other than honking/surge.

TIA for any help, and thanks for the collected wisdom of the forum. I believe that I was able to get a fair deal on my car, and do a better job of pre-delivery inspection, because of information that has been shared here.

BTW - I'd love to know about the occasional North Carolina drive/event.
Old 07-14-2001, 03:57 AM

Default Congrats from the other 225TTC amulett/aviator owner.

not sure about the zaino question but the forge will help but it is still surgy. I had a 98 A4 1.8T before and never noticed any lag. Where are you lacated?? Doug
Old 07-14-2001, 04:41 AM
Elder Member

Default You want a wax or Zaino free surface under the Invincashield. The DIY kits say so...

As far as surge, I would say it's normal. You A4 had 150HP and a smaller turbo using the 1.8T engine. My 180hp has a smaller turbo than the 225 and surges (or lags, two ends of the same dog) noticeably less than a 225.

You will get used to it and you will learn throttle techniques that allow for smoother acceleration. Nothing to teach you'll just learn it over time.

COngratualtions. Glad we could help on the water channel paint bubble issue.

Of course, your question leads to this question: Does a chip decrease the lag/surge? Or increase it?
Old 07-14-2001, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Congrats from the other 225TTC amulett/aviator owner.

Between Greensboro and Winston/Salem North Carolina.
Old 07-14-2001, 06:27 AM

Default Re: You want a wax or Zaino free surface under the Invincashield. The DIY kits say so...

Thanks. I'll bring it to them "bare".

So far as chips and surge go, I'm not sure I would know what to do with this car if it were quicker/faster.

Ken
Old 07-14-2001, 06:55 AM

save your $$, throw a rock at front bumper now and get it over with
Old 07-14-2001, 01:18 PM

Default IMO replacing the DV with a Forge got rid of the surginess. I was quite

surprised because I didn't feel like I had a problem but noticed a major difference once the DV was replaced. I do not have a chip.
Old 07-15-2001, 04:13 AM

Default You do realise that the turbos in the A4s

like the SAAB turbos were put there to give the car some semblance of power only. That is they were purposely turned down so that the car could have smooth albeit slight pull through the range. Welcome to a different world buddy where turbos can literally "kick" in. Bypass valves, chips and different weight and size turbos will alter the amount and timing of the "surge" but buddy, that's half the fun. If you nurse the car around 1800-2500 revs, it can be smooth, above that, Buckle up!