TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New TT owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TT owner

Joining the 2001 A4 I bought a while back is now a used 2001 TT Coupe Quattro. 180Hp, 15k miles, blue, fun. So far I love it, but there are a few concerns I have:

1. The rear deck (or privacy guard or whatever) rattles like crazy. I see from browsing old forum posts that this is probably fixable under warranty?

2. The Audi Concert sound system (w/ changer) doesn't sound very good. I've had the car less than 24 hours, and haven't looked too closely, but it appears there are no rear speakers? Is there even a place to put rear speakers if I wanted to?

3. The front tire (Potenza RE040) has a bubble on the side. Kind of like someone stuck a small egg in it or something. I also see what looks like scratches on the wheel, so it looks like the previous owner hit a pothole or something. I guess this isn't covered under warranty... is it something I should worry about? Also, since I'm a "daily driver" I've been considering getting a slightly quieter/more comfortable tire, but I don't want to sacrifice the joy of zipping around corners. I live in Charlotte, NC so snow isn't really ever an issue, since everything shuts down here when it snows anyway so I just stay home. Any thoughts?

4. There don't appear to be any records of maintenance (although I found the original sticker in the glove compartment... that's a weird thing to keep around). Is there any way to make sure they took it in as they should have, or anything I should check?

Thanks, these forums are an invaluable wealth of knowledge, especially for a new owner!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:58 PM
BZ

Default Welcome...

1) Yes. There is tons on this. (see link)
2) There are rear speakers.

More later (late).

BZ<ul><li><a href="http://www.auditt.org/faq/979917951">http://www.auditt.org/faq/979917951</a></li></ul>
Old 03-12-2003, 12:58 PM

Default Re: New TT owner

1. Yep. They changed that.
2. SOL. No rear speakers.
3. Try for warrenty. That was common.
4. Check with the dealer. They should have complete records. All maintenance is covered, so the previous owner should have gone to the dealer.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Elder Member

Default 2) Mine does Ed.

The rear speakers are mid-range with an incorporated woofer - if I recall correctly.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can't help you with any of that stuff, but Welcome!
Old 03-12-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Welcome to the best TT forum!

I am a new owner as well, so I really can't answer any of your questions, but just wanted to welcome you to this wonderful place where I am sure all your questions can be answered.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Yep, they are there

I guess I missed them, they are the right above the changer and emergency kit on either side. 6 speakers with the Bose logo on the doors.

How come the Fader control says "No Fader" then? It would be nice to adjust the levels.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ah yes, this question. Bose, apparently, isn't Bose-y if you can mess with the fader ->

... so to keep the stereo in Bose specs, you aren't allowed to mess with it. You CAN, however, get the fader functionality in a very simple procedure with a VAG-COM tool. The VAG-COM is the aftermarket tool that plugs into the car computer's diagnostic port and allows you to futz with all manner of details. It's commonly referred to as the "mega-bass" mod, since another attirbute of the mod is to give you greater adjustibility of your bass. Many people, after having paid $1000+ for the Bose, eventually do this mod and are much happier for it.

I don't have the link for the procedure, sorry.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Elder Member

Welcome.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:01 PM

Well, You CAN turn the fader function on, but it don't do anything.

Quick Reply: New TT owner