AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk1) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/)
-   -   New TT owner (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/new-tt-owner-2965156/)

Zap! 01-06-2019 08:07 PM

New TT owner

Hey everyone, new member here. I just registered a 2000 Audi TT Quattro on Wednesday, that I bought for just $500 from a friend who was the original owner. He's put a lot of money into it over the years, including a new engine about 20,000 miles ago. It's certainly a steal, but it does have a few issues. Perhaps some are related, perhaps not. Here are some of the problems.

1) The "ABS "light is on, and the "brake" light flashes. I does not need brake fluid, and the brake pads are fine. It seems to stop fine. The ABS fuse is fine.
2) The "check engine is on. I own an OBD2 scanner, and got just one code: P1136.
3) It takes about 4 or 5 attempts to start. I try, it cranks, I stop and repeat the process. After it's running, it's fine. If I stop in a store or friend's house, it will start right up next time. But if I wait several hours between starts, it'll take the 4 or 5 tries again. This has nothing to do with the weather. Same thing happens whether it's 60 or 30 outside. The fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner, but it did not fix the problem. He doesn't know if they replaced the fuel filter, but I'd imagine they had to. Could it be fuel injectors? MAF Sensor?
4) The glove box light only works when the headlights are on. Is this normal? Either way, it's a minor problem compared to the rest.

skr9 01-07-2019 04:15 PM

New TT owner here also (2001 Quattro convertible) - welcome to the community.
Unfortunately, I can't offer much assistance with your specific issues - hoping someone will offer you some guidance - but just wanted to extend the welcome.

Mister Bally 01-07-2019 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zap! (Post 25258163)
Hey everyone, new member here. I just registered a 2000 Audi TT Quattro on Wednesday, that I bought for just $500 from a friend who was the original owner. He's put a lot of money into it over the years, including a new engine about 20,000 miles ago. It's certainly a steal, but it does have a few issues. Perhaps some are related, perhaps not. Here are some of the problems.

1) The "ABS "light is on, and the "brake" light flashes. I does not need brake fluid, and the brake pads are fine. It seems to stop fine. The ABS fuse is fine.
2) The "check engine is on. I own an OBD2 scanner, and got just one code: P1136.
3) It takes about 4 or 5 attempts to start. I try, it cranks, I stop and repeat the process. After it's running, it's fine. If I stop in a store or friend's house, it will start right up next time. But if I wait several hours between starts, it'll take the 4 or 5 tries again. This has nothing to do with the weather. Same thing happens whether it's 60 or 30 outside. The fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner, but it did not fix the problem. He doesn't know if they replaced the fuel filter, but I'd imagine they had to. Could it be fuel injectors? MAF Sensor?
4) The glove box light only works when the headlights are on. Is this normal? Either way, it's a minor problem compared to the rest.

Generic scanners do not show VW/Audi specific system diagnostics. Best to invest in the Ross-Tech diagnostic interface. You will need it for ABS diagnostics. It sounds like you have a defective temperature sensor that is not "enriching" the fuel system when cranking a cold engine. Again, the proper diagnostic software & interface is paramount.

Look up your code on Google (Audi service manual preferred) and repair as required. I'd say buy the service manual and Ross Tech diagnostic interface right away to help you.

This is a good read. While geared toward the D3 A8, most of applies to your vehicle as well.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-read-2877219/

Finally, I recall that early TT's did not have a glove box light switch so the headlights on turning on the glove box may indeed be normal. My Gen 1 VW Scirocco worked in a similar manner.

Zap! 01-08-2019 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 25258589)
Generic scanners do not show VW/Audi specific system diagnostics. Best to invest in the Ross-Tech diagnostic interface. You will need it for ABS diagnostics. It sounds like you have a defective temperature sensor that is not "enriching" the fuel system when cranking a cold engine. Again, the proper diagnostic software & interface is paramount.

Look up your code on Google (Audi service manual preferred) and repair as required. I'd say buy the service manual and Ross Tech diagnostic interface right away to help you.

This is a good read. While geared toward the D3 A8, most of applies to your vehicle as well.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-read-2877219/

Finally, I recall that early TT's did not have a glove box light switch so the headlights on turning on the glove box may indeed be normal. My Gen 1 VW Scirocco worked in a similar manner.

Thank you for the info! I'm going to go ahead and get a temperature sensor by tomorrow. It's only about $11 anyway, so even if it's not it the problem, it's no big deal anyway. I also ordered a MAF Sensor, just in case it's old. I also noticed that the cabin filter is beyond filthy, so I'm going to go ahead and replace that too.

As for the scanner, I didn't know about the Audi specific ones, thanks. Do you happen to have a link for one that you recommend? I prefer it to not be all that expensive, but will spend if absolutely necessary.

Zap! 01-09-2019 07:00 PM

Update: Ordered an ANCEL VD500 scanner, which is coming tomorrow, and a temperature sensor. I'll put it in on my day off (Saturday). I also changed the cabin filter this morning. Can't wait to have these problems resolved. :)

Walpole5 01-10-2019 04:33 AM

I'm sure the Ancel will do the job, but the Ross-Tech provides a whole other level of information.

Ross-Tech: Products

Zap! 01-10-2019 08:21 PM

So the VD500 scanner came today. I finally got to check the ADS and got the following three codes:

00283: Front left ABS wheel speed sensor (G47)
00287: ABS wheel speed sensor: rear right (G44)
01276: ABS hydraulic pump (V64)

In other error codes, I also get:

17544: Fuel trim: bank 1 (add): system too lean: P1136

Now I'm no expert, but that last ABS code sounds major. Any idea what the "system too lean" code could be?

Walpole5 01-11-2019 05:55 AM

Check out this link on the Ross-Tech site:

17544/P1136/004406 - Ross-Tech Wiki

and this:

Fuel Trim Info - Ross-Tech Wiki

Zap! 01-11-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Walpole5 (Post 25260261)
Check out this link on the Ross-Tech site:

17544/P1136/004406 - Ross-Tech Wiki

and this:

Fuel Trim Info - Ross-Tech Wiki

Thanks so much, that was some great info! I'm gonna have myself a busy weekend. Just wish it wasn't so cold (30 degrees in NYC). :)

Zap! 01-13-2019 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 25258589)
It sounds like you have a defective temperature sensor that is not "enriching" the fuel system when cranking a cold engine. Again, the proper diagnostic software & interface is paramount.

I want to personally thank you for this advise. I bougt the temp sensor at Autozone for like $11.99. I just installed it and it started right up after sitting in the cold all night and morning. Such a cheap and easy fix!

I also changed the MAF sensor yesterday and cleared the code. So far it appears to be riding better. The code hasn't come back just yet, but I have only driven it like 6 miles since the install. Next step is a Bluetooth radio and then the ABS problems!