AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk1) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/)
-   -   newbie Audi TT owner (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/newbie-audi-tt-owner-1921405/)

ebayidioTT 12-31-2005 06:28 AM

newbie Audi TT owner

Beacuse of a slight miscalculation on ebay a few weeks ago, I ended up buying a 2001 TT 225 HP for my 16 year old daughter a few weeks back. I know virtually nothing mechanically about the car except for what's in the owner's manual. This appears to be a great forum for getting questions answered by very knowledgeable people. Hopefully you can help me with some basic questions.

I'd like to get a service manual for the car but have seen some relatively negative comments on other boards on the Bentley manual. Are there others to look at? Has the Bentley one gotten better?

The foglights only seem to go on when the low beams are on. Is there a way to turn them on with just the parking lights? If not, why does the switch pull out a notch since they seemd to go on with the low beams anyway?

Finally, the car has an ABT logo in the back. I believe this is related to some mods on the car. How do I tell which ones are on it?

Thanks and hope everyone has a great New Year. Have fun but be safe.

AkRascal 12-31-2005 06:33 AM

Love your signature, what is a "slight miscalulation"? Welcome

Kareem of Elise 12-31-2005 06:34 AM

Some answers.....

For your repair manual, the only option is the Bentley CD, no paper manual, and it does leave a bit to be desired, but that's what ya got.

There is a way to do the fog lights with the parking lights only...you can do a search, or start with this link
http://public.fotki.com/mcphill/audi_stuff/lighting_systems/foglight_switch_mod/

ABT does make after market stuff. Engine chip, body kits, etc.....not sure what ya got though.

audiologisTT 12-31-2005 06:35 AM

"slight miscalculation on ebay" LOL!!!

Love it! May I ask 'how much'?

wow 16yr old with a 225 :)
TTers getting younger and younger!

is is a coupe or roadster? miles?
will she be learning to drive a stick on the TT?

yes, you'll likely neeed the manual
Bentley CD is probably your best bet

foglights are working just fine, that's how it should be. Broken or modded switches allow otherwise but no real benefits there

ABT could be just a sticker or for a cosmetic mod. Post some pics and we'll see!

Enjoy the car!

TTinCT 12-31-2005 06:37 AM

Good answers below...welcome and enjoy...:-)

OldSchool AG 12-31-2005 06:38 AM

LOL... nice username. Sounds like you may have an issue with the headlight switch>>

while the fogs are intended to only come on with low beams, pushing in on the switch should turn them off.

The Bentley manual is the only manual available, and it is quite thorough. The negative comments are usually from newbies who are used to the hand-holding found in a Haynes or a Chiltons manual. The Bentley assumes some basic mechanical knowledge.

No idea on the Abt logo. Could just be a badge, or there could be actual Abt parts. Abt is pronouced as a word, by the way, as it is the last name of Christian Abt, the company's founder.

Welcome, and happy new year to you too!

TToro 3.2 12-31-2005 06:39 AM

There is a foglight mod. The best "how to" I found was TTakes2 fotki album..>

Not quite sure how to check if its chipped other than driving a stock one and then yours. Also check TTschwings fotki site for some great mods for the 225. You'll end up keeping the car for yourself..

TTuned 12-31-2005 06:40 AM

Wishing my parents made that same 'miscalculation' years ago...>

maybe with that Porsche 944 I wanted back in the 80's. Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgeable folks here. ;-)

OldSchool AG 12-31-2005 06:41 AM

Ditto on the 944 back in the 80s.. (actually I would have settled for a 924S)...Mom said "no way."

Kareem of Elise 12-31-2005 06:42 AM

You are right.....I have trouble just loading the CD....