AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk1) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/)
-   -   Newbie to the Group - 2004 Audi TT 3.2 Questions (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/newbie-group-2004-audi-tt-3-2-questions-2967101/)

Vokell 02-11-2019 12:49 PM

Newbie to the Group - 2004 Audi TT 3.2 Questions

Hello,
I have been "lurking' the last week or so, trying to learn as much as possible before bugging the forum....hope these questions aren't "wrong'. Here goes....

Purchased a 2004 Audi TT 3.2 with 92K miles about two weeks ago. Ran vin checks/car fax etc. everything checked out, however I am sure there is more work coming up. I had the oil changed, front brakes and rotors replaced, and wheels balanced and rotated. Before I go to the 'next" thing, what does the forum recommend? I am looking at the 95k service, but don't want to go down that road, if trans/timing etc work needs to be done. The top is not great, back window looks like they used silicone for a 'do it yourself"...so have to get that worked out.
There was no other major service that I know of, however the previous owner was the third and he didn't have much detail.
The Audi is running well, it is great top down and excellent ride. Haven't a convertible to drive in 30 years, so I guess this is mid life fun again. Thanks for the forum, great threads and knowledge here.

Gerry aka Vokell

J. Patterson 02-11-2019 06:01 PM

Welcome in. Sounds nice. Color? Which wheels? Read up on the window gluing. Some have had success but others have had to replace top. There are special suction cup clamps available that should help a lot. Careful not to let it leak. The central locking module is under there and doesnít like water. Are door locks and trunk release working properly? Does your windscreen go up and down smoothly and evenly? The drive belts sometimes fail and lose teeth.
Not a lot of 3.2 owners on forums. From what I do know, they are quite reliable. You have a timing chain rather than a belt so no timing belt service. If itís quiet with no rattles you are good. Bought my roadster two years back. Iíd always been a coupe guy. ( Iíve had the blue coupe for 15 years.) The roadster is pleasant when weather is appropriate. Enjoy.
lots of helpful guys here and on QuattroWorld Mk1TT. Also on the UK TT Forum. Makes ownership of these old cars much easier. Beware the mod temptation ;-)

Vokell 02-11-2019 11:53 PM

J. Patterson,
Thank you for the advice! Color is light silver, ebony interior. Will look up the window glue items. The central locking module is okay for now I think, the locks and trunk release work properly but only in the car, the key fobs don't work, so that could be work in the future. The windscreen does not go up,will look into it. hey, thanks again, i will keep checking and btw, no mods for this one. I figure just to keep it up to 'code' is mod enough for me!

GK

Lofquist 02-27-2019 04:57 PM

I also have a 2004 TT Roadster. I have had it going on 12 years. It has been a great car. It has 188K miles. I put 140K of those miles on. Outside of normal maintenance here are the issues I have had:

The Electro Mechanical Control unit failed the second year I owned it. I don't believe this is a common failure. It was expensive around $3.5K
Fuel pump failed around year 8. Approx $1K to repair.
Temp gauge sender failed around year 9. DIY fix
Chasing a couple of electrical problems at the moment. Not a big deal.

It has been a great car! Is yours a SLine and Quattro? Mine is. I think the larger 18" spoke wheels really fit the car better. It is still a head turner.

Vokell 02-28-2019 11:00 AM

Thank you!

Hey,
Thanks for your post. I really like this TT, my 2004 is sline/quattro. I am getting service tomorrow on transfer case and transmission, as well as fluids changed on power steering and coolant. I had the brakes done and new rotors earlier this month. So far the only real issue is the convertible top around the back window. It is not leaking, however the previous owner decided to try and put adhesive around the window, results were not good. I look forward to learning much from everyone here, lot of knowledge from the forum.

JoeDemagall 03-12-2019 01:04 PM

PM me any questions

Ive has my 2004 TT roadster s line for about a year now and bout it cheap knowing about some issues. If you have any questions I can try and answer them if possible from experience. Itís an incredibly fun car, and you picked up a rarer one my friend. The 3.2 was not near as common as the 1.8t

Vokell 03-12-2019 01:14 PM

Thank you! I will be bugging you for knowledge!