TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Noise after timing belt change (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise after timing belt change (with video)

Does anyone know what the rattle coming from the timing belt area could be in this video? It started after I changed the timing belt, water pump, idler pulley and hydraulic tensioner. All OEM parts / Hepu water pump /Conti belt. I replaced the tensioner pulley and hydraulic tensioner a second time, and I still get the noise. In the video, the engine is running WITHOUT the accessory belt attached, so it can’t be a bad accessory tensioner, alternator, etc. it’s also not the timing belt covers. Otherwise engine runs perfectly and timing marks are aligned.

The only thing I can think to do is to replace the water pump again. HELP!!!!

Old 06-17-2018, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Forgot to mention car is 2001 TT 1.8 with 6 speed quattro. 65k miles.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone? I’m at a real loss. It’s looking like it’s the water pump based on a process of elimination, but I dread the thought of tearing it all apart again. Any ideas on what could be causing the noise?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sound isn't really much different than my engine. Not saying there isn't anything there, just saying that I'm not able to discern from the sound on the video. If you are comparing the noise now to before you changed the timing belt you are comparing very different sounds because now you don't have the accessory belt and engine covers on. I could imagine your A/C clutch has some imbalance or the alternator has a half millimeter of axial movement and is rattling back and forth with the engine vibration but once you put the drive belt on you don't hear it because it acts and sounds very different when it is spinning.

If you have't already I would triple check that every nut and bolt is tight. When I changed my timing belt recently the tensioner only had 1 bolt holding it on and the other was about to fall off, someone didn't tighten those. I'm glad I tackled the job before that fell off. Also, are you certain the mid and lower timing belt covers overlap the correct way? I wasn't certain I got that right. Those parts have large flat areas so even a slight rattle would produce a lot of sound.