TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Odd Turbo Noise after heavy use

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Turbo Noise after heavy use

Recently my APR stage 1 2005 TT 225 1.8t has been having some turbo sound issues. After pushing the car hard and holding boost for a while, the turbo starts changing in sound. Normally I hear the turbo from the driver side of the car but this noise comes from the passenger side. Not only do i hear the same usual turbo noise, but a rather raspy, louder and hollower sound arrises, like someone is furiously saying "SHHHHHH". I dont feel any loss of power or boost. After cruising for a bit I can push the car hard again with a normal turbo noise for a few minutes before this sound comes up again. I have numerous ideas for what it could be but have never seen anyone with this problem.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Neil
Old 03-03-2019, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stage1andDone
Recently my APR stage 1 2005 TT 225 1.8t has been having some turbo sound issues. After pushing the car hard and holding boost for a while, the turbo starts changing in sound. Normally I hear the turbo from the driver side of the car but this noise comes from the passenger side. Not only do i hear the same usual turbo noise, but a rather raspy, louder and hollower sound arrises, like someone is furiously saying "SHHHHHH". I dont feel any loss of power or boost. After cruising for a bit I can push the car hard again with a normal turbo noise for a few minutes before this sound comes up again. I have numerous ideas for what it could be but have never seen anyone with this problem.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Neil
Sounds unique to me as well. I'm dealing with some very typical boost leak noises, primarily from what I believe are a bad diverter valve and maybe a torn TIP. I have to say that the noise you are hearing sounds uncannily like mine...

The only other time I heard that noise was when I first bought my car and the PO had put on a junk cone filter. The increased airflow created the same "shhhhh" sound, to the point where it was almost vacuum-cleaner like and annoyed me so much I had to put the stock airbox back on. I think the noise now is being caused by a very large boost leak but I stil have investigating to do.

Make sure you check all your turbo hoses for leaks. Otherwise it could be the turbo itself, that would require removal to be sure though.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

This is a shot in the dark but I would first check your turbo outlet hose for leaks or loose clamps. it is the red one. I had a boost leak there once every after a timing belt replacement on the roadster. No symptoms other than noise. I tightened the clamps and — gone.
And yes, a diverter valve can do this too. It is just not as close to the turbo and therefore not as likely to be affected by heat.

Last edited by J. Patterson; 03-05-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by actualfactual
Sounds unique to me as well. I'm dealing with some very typical boost leak noises, primarily from what I believe are a bad diverter valve and maybe a torn TIP. I have to say that the noise you are hearing sounds uncannily like mine...

The only other time I heard that noise was when I first bought my car and the PO had put on a junk cone filter. The increased airflow created the same "shhhhh" sound, to the point where it was almost vacuum-cleaner like and annoyed me so much I had to put the stock airbox back on. I think the noise now is being caused by a very large boost leak but I stil have investigating to do.

Make sure you check all your turbo hoses for leaks. Otherwise it could be the turbo itself, that would require removal to be sure though.
I don't think it is the intake since it is so correlated with boost. Plus i've had my intake on for over a year without any problems. I will be lifting the car up and checking the DV soon. You think it is still okay to push hard?
Old 03-05-2019, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
This is a shot in the dark but I would first check your turbo outlet hose for leaks or loose clamps. it is the red one. I had a boost leak there once every after a timing belt replacement on the roadster. No symptoms other than noise. I tightened the clamps and — gone.
And yes, a diverter valve can do this too. It is just not as close to the turbo and therefore not as likely to be affected by heat.
Thanks! I will check it soon! Definitely sounds like a possible cause.