TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OK... all you big HP TTers, (who don't care about their warranty) >>

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK... all you big HP TTers, (who don't care about their warranty) >>

Why don't I see any discussion about Underdrives?<ul><li><a href="http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq_pulleys.html">http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq_pulleys.html</a</li></ul>
Old 09-15-2002, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default We'll be sticking these on Marcus's Stage 3......>>>

In a week or two. Lots of discussion over on Vortex Gil. With weight reduction and ratio change seems to dyno/calculate at 7-10 hp. Stay tuned.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:39 PM

Default I should have known you'd already have it on THE list ! LOL >>>

Steve, I've been spending more time on Vortex as well... Now, if we could only find a couple of affordable AWD Dyno's we would all spend less time discussing theory and more time measuring results.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:40 PM

Default Then of course there is alwyas the other end of the crank >>>

2) "How does an Unorthodox Racing Ultra L aluminum flywheel give me more power?"
Weight loss is the most critical factor in HP production. Each 1 lb. of mass taken off the crank/eccentric shaft is worth approximately 2.7HP, the figure increases substantially with forced induction, nitrous, VTEC and increased RPM's. Performance gains of between 30-40% have been realized for each flywheel application/model without sacrificing safety or durability. This principle allows us to achieve the most HP gain without causing any adverse effects in the general drive-ability of the vehicle. If a flywheel is made too light it will cause engine stalling and low rpm drive-ability problems. If a flywheel is made to heavy it will not maximize HP gain.

3) "Will an Unorthodox Racing Ultra L aluminum flywheel cause driveability problems?"
The design of each flywheel is tailored to maintain normal driveability that you've come to expect from your daily driver or street/strip car. These flywheels make dramatic improvements in throttle response and overall acceleration. The reduction of weight will allow you take full command your engines output potential instead of wasting the power trying to turn the heavy mass of the stock flywheel. The weight reduction will also help to reduce stress on the engine and drivetrain components by reducing the shock that the extra weight from the stock flywheel exerts on both systems.<ul><li><a href="http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq_flywheels.html">http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq_flywheels.html</a</li></ul>
Old 09-15-2002, 12:40 PM

Default Hay Gill

Its Keir are you getting them?
Old 09-15-2002, 12:43 PM

Default Well >>>

I'm seriously thinking about starting serious Solo next spring, so with our 3,100 + pound beasts, we clearly could use more HP &amp; Torque for such events...

Are you really racing or still in the "Preping the Audi" mode ??
Old 09-15-2002, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A friend has these on his 1.8T on his Passat - he never dyno'd the car

but swore that they made a bigger HP improvement then the exhaust.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:59 PM

That's a good point! HP for the $'s $ 350 vs $ 1000 &gt; same improvement ? !
Old 09-15-2002, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cautionary tale.......>>>

These have been known to take out oil pumps/cranks on Miata's primarily because the front pulley is a harmonic balancer and serves a damping function, which when removed, sets up a harmonic imbalance that can do damage. The VW/Audi 1.8 apparently uses a solid pulley hence no real change in harmonics. The clutch/flywheel serves that function on our engine. There have been a few issues reported with lightened flywheels though.....
Old 09-16-2002, 04:40 AM

Default i threw Unorthdox Pulleys on my last car (a Lexus GS300)...more...

granted, it's a different motor and a different car altogether...but i put a full race set on the car and did Dyno it...and got a measily peak 2 hp gain...but most of the Dyno chart showed a 1hp gain.

The rep at the company whom i spoke to before i made the purchase garunteed me in writing that i would see a minimal increase of at least 10hp to the rear wheels.

when i called to complain about the product and about their false hp claims, they refused to refund my money, and then refused to take any of my phone calls or return my emails.

about 3 or 4 months after putting the pulleys on my car, i started to experience electrical problems with the car as well. coincidence? i don't think so.

you'll never catch me throwing underdrive pulleys on any of my cars ever again.

Quick Reply: OK... all you big HP TTers, (who don't care about their warranty) >>