TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OK next question...which radar? Valentine only or other options, maybe cheaper ones

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK next question...which radar? Valentine only or other options, maybe cheaper ones

I guess after my 2 tickets, (see previous post), I'm going to have to break down and get a radar. I was just recently laid off, so cash flow is a little low. Is the Valentine definitely worth the money, or are there any cheaper options?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2001, 06:45 AM

Default V1- you will only get ticketed via laser

and its saved me from that in tight traffic before too...go for it
Old 10-20-2001, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good review site....>>

<ul><li><a href="http://www.radartest.com">http://www.radartest.com</a</li></ul>
Old 10-20-2001, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default I've actually managed not to so far.

I've been tagged (that I know of) speeding, by laser at least five times.

Each time, we're talking on the nose slam the brakes reaction to get back to the speed limit (between 10 - 15 mph over).

Each time (so far) nothings happened.

One time I was sure I was toast for certain. The Highway Patrol was sitting on the overpass bridge, and nailed me from behind! I was doing 85 in a 70 in the far left lane. Slam brakes (he had to see the tail lights go on) down to 65 while the V1 is screaming laser and he didn't move...

Luck? Or was he laughing his butt off? or was he shocked someone picked off the laser and felt it was worth letting me keep going?

Dunno, I prefer the theory of 'Oh, he has a sports car and is driving responsibly, leave him alone' meaning I was one of two cars on the road at that point, and was just toodling along at 6AM.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:40 AM
Don

Default I disagree...

These guys are in love with their test equipment. They seem to have an interest in badmouthing the Valentine 1, which is clearly the best detector out there in practical terms. They like to point out that other detectors pick up signals at a greater distances than the V1, something like three miles rather than a mile and a half. How far in advance do you need this information? Would ten miles be better? So for three miles you have to slow down while all the rest of the traffic is sailing by, and you don't even know whether the signal was coming from the road you are on.

Then they make a big point out of the fact that the V1 can tell you when the signal is coming from the rear, but that most radar is too dificult to use in the follow mode, therefore knowing about rear signals is useless. Total BS. First, as you see the signal pass from front, to side, to rear, you know when it is safe to resume whatever speed you deem prudent. Second, and I know this from personal experience, when you get a signal from the rear, it alerts you to the fact that there is a patrol car behind you. He doesn't need radar to catch you speeding, he only needs to follow you for a while. As I said in the beginning, they seem to be impressed with their ability to quantify the sensitivity of the various detectors, but apparently don't have the common sense to evaluate their usefulness. Just my opinion.
Old 10-20-2001, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Keep in mind that the person who "runs" this review site and Mike Valentine DO NOT get along

AT ALL!! So there is a personal side to these "tests" rather than "pure" scientific data.

HTH
Old 10-20-2001, 11:47 AM

Default V1 & 8500 are both very good detectors... the arrows on the V1 made the decision for me though

I wanted to be able to know where the signal was coming from.

The V1 falses more than the 8500 out of the box though. This hasn't been an issue for me after 1 year though. I love the V1...wish I could get a second for my other car, but that's not going to happen any time soon.
Old 10-20-2001, 03:05 PM

Default and notice how they over weighted the "ergonomics" portion in their tests!

I personally think it's a B.S. site!

Very good spam. IMHO of course...
Old 10-20-2001, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This discussion reminds me of the "Z" debate... let's talk about cooking and eatin' n'stead.