TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Only article I could find in Lexis/Nexis on current problem (more)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-1999, 06:03 AM
Denny

Default Only article I could find in Lexis/Nexis on current problem (more)

October 7, 1999 Detroit News

"Audi Offers Fix for Sway in Coupe

FRANKFURT, Germany -- Audi AG will offer owners of its TT Coupe a stabilization method to counteract a tendency for the back of the car to swing out when the driver applies the brakes in a curve.

The company will introduce a uniform stabilization method in all cars built after December, including the TT Coupe, an Audi spokesman said.

The German magazine Stern reported that the Audi TT Coupe has a technical defect that causes the rear of the car to swing out under braking in curves. That has led to several accidents, it said."

Not a lot more info. Den
Old 10-08-1999, 06:16 AM
mne

Be interesting to see how many nay-sayers & touters of "pilot error" now refuse the upgrade. (nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 06:30 AM
Denny

So right, heck, I'll let them add on anything they want....I don't break in curves anyway....(nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 06:38 AM
mne

Is that a play on words Den... or did ya mean "brake?"... truth? Careful... image IS everything(nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 06:53 AM
Denny

An intentional error...(nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 06:57 AM
mne

then you remain the goddess of my idolotry... send pics of your car <grin> (nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 06:58 AM
Lonnie

Default Re: So right, heck, I'll let them add on anything they want

Let's hope the Audi engineers carefuly test whatever change they come up with before they install on our cars. I most likely will never push the TTQ to the limits of causing this problem. I will have to wait,see, what tyoe of modification they come up with.
Old 10-08-1999, 07:01 AM
Denny

After reading the second article I posted, I may keep my FWD just the way it is (nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 07:57 AM
sTuarT

Default cornering problems?

Surely, if you take any car into a corner quickly and then brake, you are going to unsettle the car and risk losing control. The answer? Take corners at a speed where you can still control the car. If you are watching the road and traffic ahead of you then you can read upcoming situations before they happen. Ah!, I hear you say, what if you are driving around a blind corner and have to brake because of something on the road, for example a slow car or an animal? Ask yourself should be driving that quickly around a blind corner in the first place?

Call me an ultra careful driver if you like, but my TT hasn't stepped out yet at any speed.

BTW I'm taking my TT to the Nürburgring next weekend for a drive on the 'green hell of the Eifel' as Jackie Stewart called it. If I get pics I'll post them.
Old 10-08-1999, 10:28 AM
Marius B

Default I'll not take the de-tune, but might have if...

... I mainly was to use the car for fast but tedious autobahn traveling.

Quick Reply: Only article I could find in Lexis/Nexis on current problem (more)