TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

An open question regarding the issue of Terms of Use...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An open question regarding the issue of Terms of Use...

In light of the explicit content often seen on the OT Forum, how is that reconciled with the following paragraph from the Terms of Use...

"You agree, through your use of the Discussion Forums, that you will not post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

I was very surprised yesterday by two cross posts that exhibited the degree of **** seen in OT. I am anxious to get some clarification on this. Thanks!<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/other/msgs/884408.phtml">link to one OT post by JET</a></li></ul>
Old 03-01-2003, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default JET's at Geneva so he won't be around

I often ask myself that same question. My understanding is the "Maxim" test - if you can see or read about it in Maxim - it's OK in the OT forum. I still think it has no place on Audiworld - but that is just MY OPINION.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:29 AM

Default Don't quite understand it either, Bob, but OT does have dif rules...---->>>

from the TOU re: OT

"Off-topic Forum guidelines
The purpose of the Off-topic Forum is to discuss anything and everything, and in particular non-Audi or non-automobile related topics. While you may also make OT posts in the Audi Forums using the off-topic feature, many readers choose to post this material in the Off-topic Forum.

Moderation of posts, and in particular those dealing with politics, social issues and adult-oriented content is much more relaxed in the Off-topic Forum. Generally speaking we use popular media "tests" to evaluate the appropriateness of content in the Off-topic forum. If you could expect to hear it on the Howard Stern Show or read it in Maxim or Cosmopolitan magazines, then it is acceptable for the Off-topic Forum.

Full nudity, explicit profanity and outright offensive material will not be permitted and will be deleted if viewed by a Moderator. Links to 3rd party websites (of any nature) are acceptable. Keep in mind that there is a high degree of subjectivity and we will do our best to be consistent. Off-topic material is clearly outside AudiWorld's mandate and therefore subject to removal based on bandwidth or other concerns. "
Old 03-01-2003, 06:29 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel the heat we're getting here is extremely hypocritical, especially in light of the AWOT forum.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Joe...

I appreciate the clarification, and personal view. I am confused by selective application of exacting language. I think this is the issue of late, IMHO.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the additional info. :-)
Old 03-01-2003, 06:58 AM
Elder Member

Default JET has been cracking down on personal attacks on AWOT and with an iron fist.

The **** can only be linked, and cannot be added to the AW pic poster.

Lots of people have other problems that are not compatible with the sensibilities of the TT forum members, like extreme homophobia and some racism.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:59 AM

Default The more I think about it from JET's perspective, the more I think he needs to...

put his energy into fixing the search feature so that visitors to the forum can have some hope of accessing the wealth of information here.

Without fixing the search, he has to rely on the fact that there is a benevolent community of kind and helpful experts that are always standing by to help answer questions and point folks to the right solutions. And the only way the benevolent community will hang out is if there is a healthy balance of stuff to talk about.

I think JET is just concerned about the balance between on and off topic. He's smart enough to know that killing off-topic would hurt his business objectives.

I think that we should not over-react and be so sensitive to the minor tweeking he is doing. I think that very little has changed, other than the guidelines for moderators are clearer now and more likely to be enforced uniformly.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the info Ivan. I hope we can maintain a safe and informative fun place to hang...

I would like to think of this place like I did the Bay area, an inclusive and fun place with options for all :-)
Old 03-01-2003, 07:27 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I remember a year or two ago...

I had an internet date, who was quite pretty. Her adult daughter took a photo of her bare back from behind. I thought it was pretty sexy, so I shared it.

All that was visible was the back of her head, her back and a small tattoo on her lower back.

I took so much heat over that photo, I thought a lynch mob was going to show up at my front door! However, it's okay to link to women holding open their labia and it's fine to discuss having intercourse from behind, pretending to ejaculate by spitting on a woman's back, and then unexpectedly ejaculating in her face.

This is fine, so long as it's on the OT forum? I guess I just don't get it.

Quick Reply: An open question regarding the issue of Terms of Use...