TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Opinions for best neutral handling suspension/sway bar setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions for best neutral handling suspension/sway bar setup?

I have been doing a lot of track events and auto x. I have driven my TT to the limit and that limit is understeer(as most of you know). I want to put coil overs on and I'm wondering what everyone's opinion of their's is. I would also like to tackle the camber problem when on the track. I know coil overs will help the camber problem a little just by lowering the car, but has anyone done anything more drastic? Your input is helpful. Thanks.

180 FWD
#771 GST
Old 08-30-2001, 11:07 PM

Default I'm on H&R coilovers + 19mm Neuspeed Rear Sway bar..

and it handles pretty well, not too stiff, just right.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:18 AM

Default I strongly suggest a completely intergrated spring, damper and antiroll bar kit like...

the Eibach Pro-System-Plus for FWD TTs. It is or will be available soon. Check out this link to a thread from a couple of days ago.

Achieving a handling balance is a time-consuming job even for race teams with almost unlimited spring/damper/bar combinations. A thorough understanding of chassis dynamics helps a great deal. Eibach engineers have this. We TT owners don't.

Unfortunately, a 62-64% front heavy FWD will understeer at the limit of the tires' adhesion. The fronts have to generate both cornering and acceleration loads, and are more heavily loaded than the rears. They just give up first. The suspension can be balanced to feel more neutral or even loose (oversteer) at less than maximum grip, however. Few folks drive their cars in the top few % of the grip area, even in auto-x. Those that do often win. A great deal of this is the driver.

My $.02<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/339332.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/339332.phtml</a</li></ul>