TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT: I swear to god when they build houses today they don't think you'll finish the basement.

Old 01-05-2002, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

OT: I swear to god when they build houses today they don't think you'll finish the basement.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understand. Mine can't handle a bathroom...

I'm going to have to shell out some money to get a bathroom put in if we ever wanted one.

I'm more interested in a utility sink at this point, but the same problems exist... how to get the water to go uphill.

They did NOT put in a drain or the plumbing to get the water up to sewage level.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh, mine is much worse that that

There are pipes in the floor, and we spent the better part of a day staring at it & a floor plan program trying to figure out how to fit a shower & the toilet. The two pipes for the drains are less than 2" apart.

We have no idea what the $*&( they were thinking.

Then there is the half assed **** across the ceiling. Several drain pipes appear to be after thoughts. And some genius didn't feel like running the wire through the pre-drilled holes in the beams and just stapled it *****-nilly across the beams. Putting up frames is really fun whne you have to cut notches out of them for the wires.

Not to mention the fact that for some reason the drain for the washer too floors up needs to come out into the middle of the room, and then out almost 5" from the nearest wall. Whee.

They're supposed to come buy some time this week to let us know what the crack smoking plumber was up too.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wonder who picked the builder?????

Tells us more about you than them!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2002, 04:58 PM

Default Is the house still under warranty? Could you get them to come back

Since you can't use the house as you were thinking you could, is this something that you could pursue?

You are right... your's is worse. ;-)
Old 01-05-2002, 05:23 PM

Default Well, usually you pay extra when building if you want them to 'rough in' for additional utilities...

For example (and you know our house), if we had wanted to have a wet bar (versus just the 'dry bar' with the fridge and microwave) we would have had to pay them to 'rough in' for the water. Not having done that (our choice) it would be exceedingly expensive to decide to have a wet bar after the fact. Same thing with the bathroom in the basement, although in this case, we had the builder provide the finished product. Even with the room over the garage (just to show that this whole issue is not limited to below ground areas) it would have been exorbitantly expensive to finish that off if we hadn't planned for it in the first place.

Bottom line, I guess, is that if you tell a builder (by not paying him/her for otherwise) that the area will not have a finished use, they finish it in the least expensive way possible. Retrofitting after that point is often difficult AND expensive (and sometimes, impossible.)
Old 01-05-2002, 05:32 PM

Default Yup. Mine really is a spec house, so I guess they have an excuse

If I had joined their party soon enough I might have opted to pay for the roughing in. Good thing there is a bathroom at the top of the basement stairs.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:34 PM

Default Tom - I think the issue is going to end up being whether you paid for finished or unfinished space.

I'm not an expert, and it would probably be to your advantage to hire one, but I think that the builder has much more leeway if you did not pay them to either 'finish' or provide 'rough ins.'
Old 01-05-2002, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Please. I picked the house. It was new and finished when we found it.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default we'll see...

..they're supposed to come buy and show us what they were thinking. I was asking for a floor plan or something so we can see what they had planned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: I swear to god when they build houses today they don't think you'll finish the basement.