TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT rant: 'The Chair' & 'The Chamber': how low can they go?

Old 01-14-2002, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT rant: 'The Chair' & 'The Chamber': how low can they go?

OMG. I tried to watch 'The Chamber' last night because i was curious... I could only take a few minutes of it. How degrading for the people who produce this show, for the people who put themselves through this and for mankind in general. I thought 'Survivor' was the worst they could come up with, but then came 'Who wants to marry a multimillionaire', 'Temptation Island', and now this. It's a sad day in the history of humanity.
Plus, I find it interesting that abc and Fox start very similar shows roughly at the same time. And that McEnroe... What a sellout. Aaaargh!
Old 01-14-2002, 11:49 AM

Default Agreed. With a few exceptions, the TV is usually tuned to CNN. Reading more lately, too.

And then there's always the forum, a form of "reality entertainment" in itself. But at least a reality we create.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:56 AM

Default Anyone remember the movie "The Running Man" with Arnold S.?

Everytime a new one of these game shows come out, I just keep thinking how much closer to the *true* lowest common denominator we're really getting. I watched "The Chamber" last night also out of curiosity and about ten minutes in, I was ready to cry "uncle". I just couldn't stand it. I think it'll perhaps be a matter of 15-20 years and Fox will finally have hit Running Man status. Or ... "rock bottom".
Old 01-14-2002, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Got you to watch didn't they :) They only produce what people want to see and based upon that

it sure makes a sad statement about the general public now doesn't it?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:05 PM

Wasn't that based on a Stephen King book? Where the contestant has a team of killers after him?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:14 PM

Default Sorry ... I should've elaborated.

The movie was based *very* loosely on a Stephen King book. The contestants are convicted felons and they're placed in a game zone that's maybe one hundred square city blocks and they have to survive twenty four hours (I think) without getting slaughtered.

Like American Gladiators meets Mad Max.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:23 PM

Default yup - read the book... there's also "last man walking" I think...

where all these guys have to march until there's only one left (they get shot if they stop or fall). "The Chamber" and "The Chair" set a precedent because they actually involve physical torture (although - there was already "boot camp"). What amazed me is that Fox then has shows phlaming japanese gameshows where they do that...
It's sad that there are people who are actually willing to put themselves through that. How desperate do you have to be? I really didn't watch the show for very long, but I heard this girl answer to the question "would you recommend the chamber to anyone?": "yes, for the money". I'm sorry - my pride is worth more than that.

Man that pi$$es me off. AAAAARGGHHH! X-(

;-)
Old 01-14-2002, 12:30 PM

Default I actually found myself screaming at the TV when that same girl was asked

"What's your mother's maiden name?"

AND ...

"What's your father's birthday?"

Are you F**KING KIDDING ME?!? What's next? "What's your favorite color?" or "How many kids do you have?" It's really no surprise they had to dumb down the questions for the US version of the UK-based "Weakest Link" so people here could actually get some questions right.

The funny part is that the girl actually half-struggled on both of the above questions.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

tv makes up for it tonight with part 1 of ken burns's "mark twain" on pbs