TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT: Staining a deck this week, need some tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Staining a deck this week, need some tips

I have never done this before, but it cant imagine it would be too hard. Was going to home depot and ask them, but I figured I might ask here first, what is really needed? The deck is made out of iron wood (rain forest type stuff, super hard). What brand of stain is the best, longest lasting, etc- price is no real object except that I don't want to order anything, just want to pick it up at Home Depot. How is it applied and do I really need to powerwash first? Can I just roll it on? How long would it take to apply to a 800+ sq/ft deck?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I would recommend power washing first, but be careful. Power washing will open the pores of the

wood and allow the stain to soak in better. If you get too close, though, you can cut in to the wood as well. I also would recommend a wood conditioner, as it too preps the wood to accept stain or sealer.

I personally prefer natural wood (no stain), and a linseed oil based sealer. You need to reapply yearly, but it leaves a very nice looking natural finish.

In any case, you need to let the wood dry completely after washing before applying new product. If it is humid or not too hot, it may take more than a day to dry sufficiently, possibly making it a three-day job.

I do highly recommend using a long nap roller to apply a new finish. Makes quick work of it, and it is cheap and disposable.

I have had very good success with the Behr line of products at Home Depot.

Good luck, and I hope it turns out well for you!
Old 08-12-2006, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks man! Something funny

So i never realized how many mods I have done until I printed out your post and it printed your mod list as well. I was just curious and started crossing off items that i have done, or similar ones. There is only like 8-10 mods on your list I have not done, and half of those are 225 specific- DV relocating, etc. I was pretty happy with myself cause I find your mod list an inspiration

Thanks again for the details on the deck!
Old 08-12-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Defintely give a good powerwash first. You'll regret it if you don't
Old 08-12-2006, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stain? >

How long has the deck been down? First, I'd bet ironwood doesn't take stain too well in general - extremely hard woods dont, at least not penetrating stains; second, in addition to the power wash, if it's been down a while you may need to sand a bit to expose new grain.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah I decided on jsut sealing it, Behr brand sealer good?
Old 08-12-2006, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, Behr's good sealer - good luck!