TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT: VIRUS help...Can I recover outlook emails/contacts??? (Sorry for this OT post but this is the..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: VIRUS help...Can I recover outlook emails/contacts??? (Sorry for this OT post but this is the..

only place I know to turn.)

A friend of my roomate was using AIM on my roomates computer and downloaded a mpg file that was called "Christmas Time" Then, when it finished downloading the computer froze and when he restarted it gave a message of "BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT A BOOK DISK, blah blah."

Anyways, I was the idiot that let my roomate run his hard drive as a secondary master on my machine to extract his documents - at this point we did not know it was a virus. Anyways, now my computer has it...

Question is, what is this virus and is there a way for me to extract it without re-formating my computer? This way I wouldn't loose anything.

However, I do have access to everything including bookmarks, files, mp3s etc but can't find a way to get my outlook files...Old school there used to be a file called outlook.pst or something like that but my search comes up empty on that.

I'm running XP professional and office XP. Thanks for any help...my roomate is a fat, fat, man!
Old 01-15-2002, 11:14 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OT: VIRUS help...Can I recover outlook emails/contacts??? (Sorry for this OT post but this is t

If you don't have a good anti-virus program, I'd buy one and update it frequently. I recommend Norton Anti-Virus, and I update mine almost daily.

I'd probably call Symantec, the makers of Norton AV. Tell a technical support person what happened and see if they can help you. Of course, you'll probably have to buy their product, but it's not very expensive.

Below is a link to their website. I'll let you hunt around and try to figure out who to call.<ul><li><a href="http://www.symantec.com/">Symantec</a></li></ul>
Old 01-15-2002, 11:48 AM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: OT: Boot from anti-virus CD directly or a known safe boot disk with the write protect tab on!

My guess is a boot sector virus since it infected your system without running the mpeg trojan program.

In order to boot from CDROM, you may need to go into the system bios and set the boot order to CDROM first on the boot hierarchy.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:54 AM

Default I can get a look at the Drive and I've run Norton 2002 on it but it finds nothing...my question is..

how can I save my emails and contacts? I'm going to eventually wipe out the whole drive, repartition and then format. I knew a way in older outlook versions to do this without opening up the program but I can't get it now.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:55 AM

Default Re: OT: VIRUS help...Can I recover outlook emails/contacts??? (Sorry for this OT post but this is t

I never was much of a believer in anti-virus software, UNTIL it happened to me! I bought Norton's software and discovered a SH*T load of corrupt files. Wouldn't be without it now.

SWEET TT
225QTR Raven Black
Robert Dieck
Wausau
Old 01-15-2002, 12:46 PM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Search under Documents and Settings or do a DIR with /s option. Copy all files with a .dbx

extension. Scan those files rigorously and then move them to a diskette or another hard drive. You can import back into a new Outlook if you have those files. If you have multiple email identities, there will be duplicates. Make sure you store them in individual sub-directories.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:19 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Norton AV is very good. I can't tell you how many viruses it has intercepted.