TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Phazer II Radar Jammer - Anyone have this? Does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phazer II Radar Jammer - Anyone have this? Does it work?

My first thought is that this is a joke. Any comments are welcomed.<ul><li><a href="http://www.technoscout.com/general/product/product.asp?product=185&amp;Prod_Name=Phazer_II_Ra dar_Jammer&amp;site=85870">http://www.technoscout.com/general/product/product.asp?product=185&amp;Prod_Name=Phazer_II_Ra dar_Jammer&amp;site=
Old 09-17-2002, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default NO Radar Jammer works...

For any jammer to work it would have to <b>broadcast</b> a strong radar signal, violating several FCC regulations.

The first word of F is "Federal," and a speeding ticket beats a felony any day.

I've never seen an unbiased (as in done by someone other than the manufacturer) prove that one works, so draw your own conclusions...
Old 09-17-2002, 07:40 AM

Default Does the US Navy know this?

They have been deploying little clouds of "chaff" (tin foil confetti) for decades . . . . of course this doesn't work too well for your everyday NEON, does it?
Old 09-17-2002, 08:16 AM

Default A physics lesson

I don't buy it. Radar speed measurements are done using the doppler effect. Basically, the radar gun emits a set frequency. The radar bounces off your car and returns to the gun at a different frequency. This new frequency is a direct function of your speed AND the original frequency. The gun measures the new frequency and calculates your speed.

"The Phazer sends one signal that tells the radar the car is going 15 m.p.h. and another signal that the car is going 312 m.p.h."

Obviously, this is only possible if the the Phazer knows the original frequency of the radar so it can modify to emulate the aforementioned speeds, which is only possible if:
1. It can measure the incoming frequency
2. ALL police radar guns on the country use the same published frequency.

Since the article does not mention the capability to do #1, then it must be #2. This is the part I can not verify. Can someone else deny or confirm statement #2?

TTommyB, PhD
Old 09-17-2002, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Does the US Navy know this?

Not to mention it would look odd, having our TT spurting chaff shells out the front and back
Old 09-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Elder Member

Default A friend was a radar expert in the Navy. Ran the jammers himself, I would guess.

They could accidentally cook birds in flight with the high powered frequencies the jammers put out. I don't think a radar detector sized thingy running on 12V can do that!
Old 09-17-2002, 08:36 AM

Default At this point there is X, K, and Ka band radars...

with some other experimental bands out there. X and K are being phased out in favor of the newer digital Ka bands which operate on a varied freq. and can detect your speed in less than a second in the deadly instant on mode.
So unless it first detects the incoming signal, identifies it, then sends out the proper signal... Uh-oh already gotcha!
Old 09-17-2002, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Read this

They don't work.<ul><li><a href="http://www.radartest.com/JOS.html">Radar jammer test</a></li></ul>
Old 09-17-2002, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Bottom line - theoretically possible but too expensive to implement

As an old radar engineer myself, yes the military can jam almost any radar if they spend enough money. So police radars can be jammed too. The problem is all the frequencies you have to cover to make it useful throughout the USA. SparTTan's reference was excellent. Save your money.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's great - the guy told the trooper "Impossible". lol

Quick Reply: Phazer II Radar Jammer - Anyone have this? Does it work?