TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Picked up a used TT, need some advice

Old 08-16-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a used TT, need some advice

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a used 2001 TT 225 quatro roadster. It's got some small issues that I was hoping to get some help with:

Front driver wheel mis-aligned - the wheel sits out too far at the bottom, the camber seems off. When I turn sharp I hear a clunk occasionally. I looked underneath, pulled the wheels, but wasn't able to see anything.

Driver door mis-aligned - scuffs on the door sill when closed.

Windows don't seem to stay up when the top is up - they drop ~ 2" when I move the top, but then don't want to go back up when the top is up.

I'm sure I'll come across some other little things as I got enjoying this more. Thanks for any help.

-sparhawk56
Old 08-16-2006, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default welcome to the forum!>>

as far as the windows go, i have a similar problem with my coupe. My fix is to reset the windows (STFA) as far as the wheels go, find a friend with an alignment rack and check it out. Could very well be frame damage at worse, but who knows till a mechanic looks at it. Same with the door misalignment. ask a mechanic to look at it. someone who knows TTs/audis.

again welcome to the family
Old 08-16-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default answers....

first of all welcome!

#1... sounds like you may have a bent strut or other suspension component. good (euro) shop with alignment equipment should be able to pinpoint the cause

#2... hinges could be bent... perhaps caused by someone leaning on the door with it open. the previous generation Audi Coupe was also plagued by this

#3... I'm not sure, but probably related to the top microswitch.... I'm sure a roadster guru will chime in.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:32 PM

Default Welcome to the forum and the ranks of TT Ownership>>>

Make sure you take some time to read through the FAQ (See link in my sig) and use the forum search feature... You will find that most of the time questions have been discussed many times.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i have that problem in my coupe on occasion
Old 08-18-2006, 07:15 AM

Default Congrats -- hope you got a good price; I have some experience with the soft top issue...

#1 - Definitely get your suspension checked for any damage. If there is none, then it's time for an alignment. Make sure they've got top computerized equipment to do the job (like Hunter).

#2 - Dealer or body shop should be able to take of the door alignment.

#3 - Do you also see a yellow warning light on the dashboard that then flashes while you drive? If so, then you've got a soft top micro switch sensor problem. I've had this problem several times and the dealer corrected it. But if you search on the forum you'll find some folks were able to just bend the micro switch sensor themselves so that it works properly. IF you do not see the yellow warning light, then there may be some other kind of issue.
- I find that when having this problem, I can shut off the engine, turn on accessory power and then push the window up buttons to get closure, then start the engine. You should be fine for the journey.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Front end is bent, can it be fixed?

I found out today the frontend of this TT has been hit pretty hard and is tweaked pretty good. That's why nothing lines up, including the doors, hood or trunk. I parked it next to a coworkers today and found a number of problems under the hood. The Autocheck came back clean on the VIN, but when I ran the Carfax (of course after finding problems) it showed a frontend collision with airbag deployment.

So, how much can these TTs be tweaked back into square? Anyone have any idea what it will cost to have done? I thought I got a decent deal on the car, but now it's pretty clear I was at the short end of this one.

-sparhawk56
Old 08-22-2006, 12:56 PM

Default You'd have to take it to a good body shop that specializes in frame repairs. They'll likely be able

to fix it, which may require cutting off the front clip again and remounting. But it will never be as good as an undamaged one.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ive herd of having the sides of a frame pulled...

firends volvo had it done
Old 08-22-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Yes, that can be done, but if the previous repair replaced the front clip and it

was incorrectly installed, I was preparing him for the worst.

But go to a good body shop that has a frame rack, they may be able to do a lot to help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picked up a used TT, need some advice