TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Poll: If you had it to do over again, would you order the Bose or not...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1999, 08:31 PM
Brad Willis

Default Poll: If you had it to do over again, would you order the Bose or not...

I'll go first. I was thinking about this today. I do think that I could do better for the same money, but the truth is that the Bose doesn't sound all that bad. And understand that I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile (Paradigm speakers, Threshold Class A amp, Perreaux pre-amp, etc...) I'm sure that Audi could have done better, but the bottom line is that if I had to do it over again, I do think that I'd order the Bose. What do you think?????
Old 12-09-1999, 08:42 PM
Joe

Default Good Question. I've been riding the fence on it. Probably yes.

Then again, I also find myself avoiding favorites that I typically play all the time, because the TT's stereo just doesn't do them justice.

Alas, the Bose makes Toad the Wet Sprocket sound like a waste product. I didn't think -anything- could do that.

You suppose one can install an equalizer between the base unit and the amp?
Old 12-09-1999, 08:51 PM
D-TTrain

Default Have you considered replacing just the speakers with MB Quarts? (more)

I am also wondering this, though I don't have my car just yet. Has anyone considered adding a subwoofer? Would it be easy to add a separate mono amp for a subwoofer and put filters on the other speakers to block out the low frequencies? I hear the stock Bose speakers don't have much of a driving base. I like a real tight kick in the pants type base, but not like these punks that go down the road causing earthquakes with their rap crap! )
Old 12-09-1999, 09:42 PM
johnkrls

Default Re: Poll: If you had it to do over again, would you order the Bose or not...

I'd go with the Bose again. I'm no sound expert but I like what I hear from the Bose sound system.
John K.
Old 12-09-1999, 11:16 PM
FT

Default Re: Good Question. I've been riding the fence on it. Probably yes.

You suppose one can install an equalizer between the base unit and the amp?
That is only to correct A bad room,not to make a bad system better. The limitations here are the **** speakers and the **** amp and **** head unit and last but not least the **** CD changer.Bose is at best, the most deceptive manufacturer of stereo equipment known to man.brad knows this **** sucks, he's just checking for fools.
Old 12-10-1999, 12:22 AM
Gary C (UK)

Definetly (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 12:34 AM
Victor F

Bose ..YES ..Concert unit...OK (but wasted with cassette mechanism) (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 04:31 AM
Nick

Default What seems to be the specific criticism of the Bose?

This is a timely topic for me because I am just about to place my order. I have Bose 901's at home and really like them. With sufficient power (and I mean a lot of power)and some eq, they rock. From my knowlege of electronics, I know that Bose is generally held in high regard. And Audi picked Bose. That says a lot right there.

So what seems to be the specific dissatisfaction with the sound? Can it just be the speakers? With 175 clean watts and a decent CD player, I can't imagine any other culprit. And that can be remedied fairly easily (without a lot of disassembly) and inexpensively.

For me, the downside of have a custom unit installed is their having to tear apart a brand new car. Specifically, one that they have NEVER EVER torn apart before.

I have a custom installed Apline system in my current car, along with subwoofers. It's to die for. When it comes to sound (or horsepower), you can never go backwards.

Old 12-10-1999, 04:49 AM
Jenner

Default Ask any true Audiophile, and they will tell you BOSE SUCKS(more)

BOSE is "highly regarded" only because of marketing techniques. My Dad knows about Bose, he doesn't know about Paradigm, B&W, Krell, Parasound, Mark Levinson, Meridian, or Velodyne.
Which will he buy? What sounds better or what the salesman pushes(because they make a LARGE profit on bose) and he saw an ad for?

Go into any Home Theater store(not a chain like Circuit City or Bernie's or some ****) something with only one of a few stores that sells only high end audio equipment, I bet you don't find bose, and I bet if you ask them, they'll say something along the lines of "Bose, no highs, no lows." What kind of quality can you expect from speakers in small plastic cubes and a subwoofer that is dual 5.25" drivers in a plastic box. No thanks, give me my 12" velodyne sub anyday.(Yes I know Bose makes floorstanding speakers also).

Why did Audi choose Bose? For the same reason my Dad would buy them, because of name brand. If the average Joe saw a car with a Bose/Infinity system from the factory or a little known high end name, I'd put my money that the avg Joe would pick Bose and the other would sound much better.

I had the bose crap taken out of my TT and installed a custom stereo system. My installer never worked on a TT before, but guess what! He didn't cut anything in the car, and everything was put back the way it was, no gaps in panels, no missing parts, nothing.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett
Old 12-10-1999, 05:29 AM
TTigger

Default Re: Bose ..YES ..A MUST READ FOR BOSE CONCERT OWNERS

Condensed Version:
Have had no complaints of the Bose system until after the SouthEast TT RAlly.Everyone elses' bose when you pushed the fader button displays "Fader Off". Mine displays the rear and front with corresponding up and down numbers. When you fade to the rear however all sound diminishes to nothing.Thinking it was the right thing to do--Had dealer plug in VAG and turn fader off. Now the system sounds like "****". Couldnt stand it --went back in the next day and had them put it back. There is a dramatic difference in the base response,depth,and a more rear speaker volume bias.
Just keep the balance set at 0 (in the middle).
Try it and see--they can always turn it back off.
P.S. It is still not Audiophile--but it is much closer. and I dont feel as ripped off.

Quick Reply: Poll: If you had it to do over again, would you order the Bose or not...