AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk1) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/)
-   -   Power cutting only when turning left. (please help!) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/power-cutting-only-when-turning-left-please-help-2970586/)

Brad Meyer 04-14-2019 06:41 AM

Power cutting only when turning left. (please help!)

So, I just picked up a 2000 TT Quattro (manual), 128k on the dash, no lights other than ABS that comes on after driving for a few minutes (scanned for codes many times), driven already about 200 miles...

The strangest thing happens ONLY when turning left, the car bucks, feels like a hard fuel cut because the car almost sputters. This only happens after 5-10 minutes of driving and does not stop until I turn the car off and back on.

I cannot seem to find any posts anywhere regarding this issue, please help! I had a scare yesterday turning at an intersection and almost was hit because of this issue. I'd like the to make it to 129k in one piece. Thanks guys!

Mister Bally 04-14-2019 02:54 PM

Standard troubleshooting techniques apply here. Need to determine what is stopping when turning. Could be mechanical/electrical like wires laying on the steering shaft and shorting to ground when turning "left" with chaffed insulation. Or, when turning left is the powertrain shifting and pulling on a broken wire or connector etc.

This is not a common "Replace sensor ZX-1" type of problem.

But, make sure both battery connection are tight and that the ground strap connected to a engine/transmission mounting bolt is secure, corrosion free and not fraying somewhere. Maybe a temporary ground wire (10 Gauge) between the battery ground post and the engine block will help troubleshooting.

Brad Meyer 04-14-2019 08:30 PM

I wouldn't think it would be a ground issue as for the first 5-10 minutes of driving is perfectly fine, only happens after. If I restart the car it goes away for another 5-10

Mk1TTALMS 04-15-2019 10:58 AM

Did you try turning traction/ecs off? I noticed in my car that the system is very intrusive and almost feels like the car is cutting out. I tried the same maneuver with the system on and then off and it answer my question years back when I first drove the car.

Brad Meyer 04-15-2019 12:07 PM

How do I go about that? It is a 5-Speed Manual. I could not seem to find any button. I also pulled the 3 Fuses for ABS (2 in engine bay/ 1 in car). Since I have put them back, but that did not help at all. Please, let me know on how to turn of traction control or ECS!

Mister Bally 04-16-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Meyer (Post 25303523)
I wouldn't think it would be a ground issue as for the first 5-10 minutes of driving is perfectly fine, only happens after. If I restart the car it goes away for another 5-10

Initial stages of corrosion around a ring terminal can be aggravated by heat. Like ten minutes of driving etc.

Mk1TTALMS 04-16-2019 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Meyer (Post 25303828)
How do I go about that? It is a 5-Speed Manual. I could not seem to find any button. I also pulled the 3 Fuses for ABS (2 in engine bay/ 1 in car). Since I have put them back, but that did not help at all. Please, let me know on how to turn of traction control or ECS!

Sorry I did not realize your specific model. My model has the ESP button next to hazard button on the dash.

Brad Meyer 04-16-2019 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mk1TTALMS (Post 25304135)
Sorry I did not realize your specific model. My model has the ESP button next to hazard button on the dash.

I ordered vcds going to see if I can find any other issue with the abs it edl system, can't seem to find any way to disable traction control on this year. thanks for trying!

Brad Meyer 04-19-2019 11:14 AM

Seemed to solved this issue disabling EDL in VCDS, there have been no occurrences the past 48 hours. I've beat on it and tested hard lock left without any stutters at all. Thanks for all of your help!

J. Patterson 04-20-2019 07:08 AM

Interesting case. I would suspect the steering angle sensor or the lateral acceleration sensor as being the root cause.