TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Convertible top hydraulic line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertible top hydraulic line replacement

Ahoy!

My convertible's hydraulics have never worked; the previous owner's friend got the bright idea of drilling a hole from the trunk to the passenger compartment to run some big wires for a crazy sound system. In the process, he drilled straight through the hydraulic hoses.

I got a replacement (used) set of pump, hoses, and lift cylinders for $150 from ebay... I've seen a couple threads and videos that focus on replacing the hydraulic pump... has anyone replaced the hoses? Are they attached under all those panels or should i just try to pull the new ones in with the old ones?
If I can, I'd prefer to avoid taking the whole top off the car... there are a lot of rivets.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can reach the pump through the trunk you should be able to replace the hydraulic lines easily. Getting to the pump is a major p.i.t.a. but the rest is straightforward. Disconnect the battery, remove the 4 allen head bolts on the seat rails and the electrical connectors under the driver's seat (which is why you disconnect the battery, to avoid resetting the airbag warning light later), and start removing all the trim panels behind and beside the seat. Start at the center speaker which has 4 screws, then you can start gently unsnapping the plastic panels. I believe the trick is to unsnap from the bottom up, then when the snaps are all out lift the panels up to remove. The Bentley manual is useful in the sequence of panel removal, if you have one or can look at one I recommend it. With the trim removed you will see the hose routing and have easy access to the hydraulic cylinder and to the plastic snaps that hold the hose down. The passenger side obviously requires doing the same seat and trim removal from that side. It takes time but it isn't difficult.

I have read that the pump is self priming so once you have the new line or lines in you should be able to throw some fluid in there and be good to go.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooh, this information is key!
I haven't picked up a bentleys yet for the TT (have it for my other cars).

What I ordered includes both cylinders, all lines, and a pump, so I'll at least attempt to replace the whole thing at once. will be a good rainy day project in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for the step-by-step!
Old 02-12-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I worked on my pump I had to be on my back inside the trunk (and I don't fit in there very well) and working mostly blindly because you can only get one arm in there and can't hold a wrench and a flashlight in the same hand at the same time, and even if you can you can't see around corners. You will be cursing German engineering and wondering why they didn't put the pump any one of dozens of other places that are more accessible. I'm not trying to discourage you, just "managing expectations" as they say.

As you have probably seen in the other threads and videos you consulted there is a noise cover over the pump assembly. If you are not removing the top completely there is no way to get this out in one piece, you have to cut/rip it up and pull it out in pieces. Mine went straight in the trash, I can live with slightly more noise for the 5 seconds the pump runs.

Keep in mind it is a small car and the pump is probably less than a foot behind your shoulder when you are in the drivers seat. With the seat and the trim panels out all the hoses and wiring for the top are practically at your fingertips, they just have to snake through one sheet metal wall behind the seats and there are plenty of openings. You won't be able to put the new system in place without disconnecting the hoses but I like your plan, if those old cylinders and pump have been sitting around with no fluid in them for a long time they might be corroded internally.

One last bit of advice that I received in this forum...if you disconnect the hydraulic cylinders from the convertible top you will have a perfectly good car with an easy to operate manual top. That may be what you have now.