AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   TT (Mk1) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/)
-   -   Power steering pump (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/power-steering-pump-2942852/)

jozTT 02-12-2018 03:03 AM

Power steering pump

I have an 01 1.8 Audi TT.
Recently the power steering pump went.
The pump was empty...but I couldn't see or find where the fluid went ?
Is there something I'm missing ?
Thank you in advance.

Walpole5 02-12-2018 10:01 AM

With my experience with these engines, the power steering fluid needs to be checked regularly. Fluid weeps out and eventually, the pump will be running dry. You must buy the "special" fluid, which is about $40 a liter, but that's cheaper than a power steering pump.

jozTT 02-12-2018 10:34 AM

Thanks Walpole

Originally Posted by Walpole5 (Post 25109616)
With my experience with these engines, the power steering fluid needs to be checked regularly. Fluid weeps out and eventually, the pump will be running dry. You must buy the "special" fluid, which is about $40 a liter, but that's cheaper than a power steering pump.

Thanks for your advice...I'll order a new pump !

Mister Bally 02-12-2018 05:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Primary leak point is the steering rack. Good sealed boots will hold the leaking fluid but the pressure system starves and ruins the pump. You may have a bad steering rack. Standard troubleshooting techniques apply.

A fun part to replace on an Audi....

jozTT 02-13-2018 12:45 AM

Thank you Mister Bally

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 25109880)
Primary leak point is the steering rack. Good sealed boots will hold the leaking fluid but the pressure system starves and ruins the pump. You may have a bad steering rack. Standard troubleshooting techniques apply.

A fun part to replace on an Audi....

"Standard troubleshooting techniques apply " ?
Where do I find these ?
Thanks in advance

Mister Bally 02-13-2018 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by jozTT (Post 25110012)
"Standard troubleshooting techniques apply " ?
Where do I find these ?
Thanks in advance

Take Automotive repair classes at a local junior college or trade school. Alternatively, there are good books available that cover them. Free to read at a library or purchase them at a book store, Automotive parts store etc.

The Bentley Service Manual for the TT has guided fault-finding sections for many, but not all topics. That's why you need to know standard automotive troubleshooting techniques for all various systems on your vehicle to effectively, and at the lowest cost, repair your vehicle.

Otherwise, it may be more cost-effective to pay someone else to repair your vehicle. You wouldn't want to replace the Power Steering Pump only to find the Steering Rack is the only problem.

There are many scenarios for various situations that it is impractical to type them up in a short answer.