TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Press release: Audi offers free chassis modifications to TT owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-1999, 10:53 PM
Chuck

Default Press release: Audi offers free chassis modifications to TT owners

In a press release today from Audi AG: "Audi offers free chassis modifications to TT owners". Unless my German has gone totally south (it's late), it would appear, despite reports to the contrary, that Audi will offer some sort of modification that will address the stability problems first reported in Stern magazine. The modifications will be at no charge.

I hope to post a complete translation some time tomorrow, but anyone else should feel free to do so in advance. Roger, z.B.?
Old 10-08-1999, 12:11 AM
Victor F

Default Re: Press release: Audi offers free chassis modifications to TT owners

Have you tried using http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/ to cut+paste and convert German to English?
Old 10-08-1999, 04:12 AM
G....

Default Translation

Hi,
here is an attempt of a translation of the german press release dated 10/7/99. Please notice, that this is by no means an "official" translation. Please check the international audi website at http://www.audi.com/java/news/e_news_db.html for an official version (at this time, there is none).

Audi offers free chassis modification to TT-owners

An article in today's edition of the news magazine "Stern" dealing with the handling of the Audi tt stated that an update of already produced cars with modified stabilizers is impossible.

Audi AG informs that within the next week modified stabilizers will be used in the production line. Of course, an installation in cars already delivered is also possible.

As soon as the modified stabilizers are in stock, Audi AG will send notices to TT-owners offering a free exchange.

This chassis modification will change the handling so that handling limits can be detected sooner.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.audi.com/java/news/e_news_db.html">Audi Int'l Website Pressroom</a></li></ul>
Old 10-08-1999, 05:47 AM
Patrick Lütjens

Default Re: Press release: Audi offers to swap stabilizers to existing tt owners

hi!
it's not an exact translation, but more or less this is it:

what they're saying is, that cars going into production now will be equipped with modified stabilizers at the front and rear (Stiffer at the front, and softer at the rear axle). current tt owners can have their car modified to this standard at no cost. also, ESP will be standard for all audi's starting mid december. older tt's can't be retrofitted with ESP, because of the complexity of the system.

patrick
Old 10-08-1999, 05:53 AM
Andy W

Default Rear Spoiler - Option?

I'm not sure I want any tinkering with the dynamics my car. Yeah you can feel it drifting when braking heavily at speed through tight bends (especially on damp surfaces). It would seem that the German tuners MTM discovered this first, hence the addition of spoilers etc to their car to give greater grip.

Therefore, on the basis a spoiler would effect the symmetry or aesthetic lines of the TT, and it will add greater downforce at the rear, I think would prefer this instead of restricting the 4WD.

Any thoughts?

Andy.
Old 10-08-1999, 06:02 AM
Andy W

Default Harder front suspension?

Is this what they are proposing? I'm sure a spoiler is the easiest and most effective way of creating downforce surely!

Andy.
Old 10-08-1999, 07:26 AM
Matt Harris

Default Re: Harder front suspension?

No, I don't believe this means harder front suspension. It sounds like they will increase the roll stiffness of the front stabilizer bar, to increase understeer. The current complaint is that the tail swings out, due to a sporty amount of oversteer. People are used to heavy understeer nowadays, as this is intentionally dialed in to everyday cars to keep people out of trouble. So when they drive a sport tuned car, like the TT, they can be surprised by it. The slight oversteer is best on the track, as an experienced driver can use it to handle corners faster.

Matt
Old 10-08-1999, 11:57 AM
DennyA

Default Just spoke to an AoA customer advocate and (more)

she did not know anything about the modification. She also had not heard anything about the Stern article.
Old 10-08-1999, 12:41 PM
Paul W

Only in America!!!!! Oblivion......(nt)
Old 10-08-1999, 12:57 PM
Koo

See my post above re: PR Bullsh** from AoA-they are paid to be clueless (nt)

Quick Reply: Press release: Audi offers free chassis modifications to TT owners