TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Quattro Sport CarPC (concept to reality)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quattro Sport CarPC (concept to reality)

After seeing a few double din installs on the forum I decided I would like to install a car PC using the PIPO X8 dual os TV box.

I didn’t want to lose the radio flap or the radio, so I bought off ebay a spare centre console complete with radio flap, trim, and aircon control. I then used Photoshop to design a layout and came up with this.

Move the aircon to behind the flap, and get a mechless radio which is only 114mm deep, I measured the room in the car and decided it should fit.
Now to the building of it.

The completed trim which will hold the PC & the Radio

Modified cage ( The most difficult part )

Modified Pipo X8

PC & Radio fitted

Fitted to cage ready for wiring up, software and going in the car.

More to come when I get it fitted.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been toying with a double din solution myself. what seller did you get the double din cage from? Ive been mostly stuck trying to find one. i Haven;t had much luck with eBay. I have never seen the insert for the Hvac to fit in the factory radio hole.

Perhaps I just don't know what term to search for. But Id like to get something like that myself.

Last edited by eatumup; 07-05-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's a standard fascia trim & cage modified by myself, you won't find any for sale with this layout.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mickchip
It's a standard fascia trim & cage modified by myself, you won't find any for sale with this layout.
Well I think you've done a fantastic job doing that. I have considered it but haven't bought a cage i don't mind messing up yet. What did you use to fill in and finish the gaps from the HVAC control?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by eatumup
Well I think you've done a fantastic job doing that. I have considered it but haven't bought a cage i don't mind messing up yet. What did you use to fill in and finish the gaps from the HVAC control?
I used a double din trim superglued and epoxied on the inside and then Isopon plastic filler.
Rubbed it down and finished with K2 bumper paint

Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Finally installed

Pics of the PC installed.

CarPC installed and working, still got a few software tweaks to do but I'm quite happy with it.
I may do a few tweaks like angle the screen up a little and put a bigger power button on it.
By the way I also have installed a reversing camera, a microphone and GPS dongle in the dash top vent.
Attached Thumbnails Quattro Sport CarPC (concept to reality)-installed.jpg   Quattro Sport CarPC (concept to reality)-windows_boot.jpg   Quattro Sport CarPC (concept to reality)-igo8_pc.jpg   Quattro Sport CarPC (concept to reality)-win10_squeezeplay.jpg   Quattro Sport CarPC (concept to reality)-android_boot.jpg  

Quattro Sport CarPC (concept to reality)-frontend.jpg   Quattro Sport CarPC (concept to reality)-jvc_remote_app.jpg  
Old 08-09-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Pics of the PC installed.

CarPC installed and working, still got a few software tweaks to do but I'm quite happy with it.
I may do a few tweaks like angle the screen up a little and put a bigger power button on it.
By the way I also have installed a reversing camera, a microphone and GPS dongle in the dash top vent.
Very Nice! I am almost ready to begin working on mine.

How is using the touch screen at the lower location? Any issues/awkwardness getting around the gear shift or just looking down more?

What program did you use for GPS? Ive had some trouble finding stand alone laptop GPS software for a while.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's actually fine in that location, if using android I can control the radio from the screen using JVC remote, swipe horizontal left & right to change stations, up & down for volume.
Same if I am playing music, change tracks & volume.
The windows GPS software is iGO8.3 for PC (do a search), there is also Sygic Navigation which is in the windows store.
Its also available for android in the play store
Old 08-10-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's actually fine in that location, if using android I can control the radio from the screen using JVC remote, swipe horizontal left & right to change stations, up & down for volume.
Same if I am playing music, change tracks & volume.
The windows GPS software is iGO8.3 for PC (do a search), there is also Sygic Navigation which is in the windows store.
Its also available for android in the play store
Thank you for sharing. Your setup turned out real nice i must say.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Impressive! great work and thank you for sharing! ever thought of going with a tablet?

Check this

Quick Reply: Quattro Sport CarPC (concept to reality)