TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question for Canadian TT owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 05:27 PM
Vic

Default Question for Canadian TT owners

I'm wondering if your Canadian version of the TT has an child tether ancohrage in the back seat.

The reason I ask this is that Transport Canada requires this feature to be installed on TTs that are imported into Canada from the United States. They make it sound like an expensive modification
that's not just a matter of bolting on a bracket. please refer to the link below for this note.

I'm thinking about buying a TT while I work in the United States and then bring it back to Canada sometime in the future.

It's interesting that Transport Canada doesn't mention anything about having those bumper extentions added since the U.S. version doesn't have those.

Answers will be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

Vic

<ul><li><a href="http://www.tc.gc.ca/RoadSafety/ImportUSA/english/im3vw_e.htm#AUDI">http://www.tc.gc.ca/RoadSafety/ImportUSA/english/im3vw_e.htm#AUDI</a</li></ul>
Old 12-10-1999, 06:21 PM
David Lowe

Default Re: Question for Canadian TT owners

Yes, the Canadian TT's do have child seat anchors.

Now I am not sure, but I believe that they were installed at Port in Halifax, not at the factory.

Although, I don't have digital camera to show what they look like, I can tell you what they look like.

On the back of the seat (only visible when the trunk is open) their is semi circle plastic loop about 3/4 of the way up the seat, and about 1/4 of the way up the seat, there is a plastic hook.

It seems that a car seat strap goes through the semi circle loop, and then clips onto the hook.

I would way about $5.00 of parts, and about 30 minutes of install.

I find all the child seat anchorage stuff pretty funny, since I don't think that you can really fit a car seat back their anyways.

Thanks,
David
Old 12-10-1999, 09:56 PM
Vic

Thanks for the quick answer Dave.

I your option (that's if I'm picturing your description is correctly) do you think that the seat back on your TT has been reinforced in anyway for that plastic semi-circle? Volkswagens have a different seat back installed for the seat anchors.

As you said it is kind of silly to think you can even fit a child seat in the rear seats but I that's Canadian regulations for you. The rest of world doesn't seem to need this anchor.
Thanks,

Vic
Old 12-11-1999, 07:53 AM
Rick (Virginia)

You might need to have your headlights rewired as Daytime Running Lights too. (nt)
Old 12-11-1999, 02:26 PM
David Lowe

Hi Vic,

I just took another look, and yes semi-circle is re-inforced by a bar about 6cm long below the back seat fabric.

So it would appear that the installers removed the back seat fabric, screwed the bar with the loop attached to it into the back of seat. Then recovered it with fabric.

So it would appear that the seat back is not any different then the US model. If it was different, that I would expect the seat back to be plastic like the driver and passenger seats are.

Thanks,
David