TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question for Mne: HP & torque & stats with chip & borla (more)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 06:39 PM
WEW

Default Question for Mne: HP & torque & stats with chip & borla (more)

I know you've done more then the chip and Borla but they are the main producers of extra kick, What do you think the hp & torque are up to now? Any stats on 0-60 or 1/4 mile times? I am installing the borla to my Garrett chipped TTQ on Sat., was just wondering. It should be somewhere in the 225 TT neighborhood.
Old 12-10-1999, 07:12 PM
mne

Default I really havent done more (internally) than chip/exhaust. My HP at the wheels is 187.

By GTech-Pro. And mathmatetically the 225 is 190 + or -. But its too cold now to test 0-60 and 1/4 times. I have some old ones off a TAP chip, pre-exhaust, but the Garrett is a far stronger/smoother chip. And the Borla does make power. But you wouldnt be out of line expecting 6.4-6.6 with chipped Q. I'll have a TON of info towards the end of April or early May on 4 chips and all 0-60 & 1/4 & HP specs before & after at that time. Its not fair to test one at 30F and another at 85F. I'm keeping them all in the 70's for any 'reported' results. And I think I can blow by the 225's HP with addition of the 2nd intercooler. The crossover outlet is in place in all our TT's and capped off. Just a matter of 2 sections of pipe, 2 silicone sleeves and 4 hose clamps to make it identical to the 225. Just waiting on those part numbers from Audi. Cars gotta get here before the part numbers do... and even then sometimes later.
Old 12-10-1999, 10:46 PM
Cliff Melick

Default Re: I really havent done more (internally) than chip/exhaust. My HP at the wheels is 187.

Do you think we can get the 180 hp q's up to 225 spec with chip/exhaust mods? Yeah--you do--so why did I post this?
Old 12-11-1999, 04:51 AM
Jenner

Default You could better the 225 spec by adding 4 parts: KKK04 turbo upgrade, chip, exhaust, 2nd intercooler

I think this would put you in the 240-250hp range, but you would have abit more turbo lag due to the KKK04. Other than a few internal engine changes and the dual exhaust of the 225, its almost the same deal.

MNE I know you are planing to add the 2nd intercooler when the parts become avail...could you let us know the cost of the parts and labor and if possible the performance difference. Thanks!

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett
Old 12-11-1999, 06:02 AM
mne

Default The K04 scares me as its impossible to hide for warranty purposes... but... more

I will let everyone know about the 2nd intercooler stuff soon as I have the info. Due to it being Audi parts I KNOW it'll be expensive. But I talked with my Audi mechanic and he said "no warranty" probs with 2nd intercooler. And Audi will even warranty the original parts for one year/12k miles.
Old 12-11-1999, 06:28 AM
Jenner

Default Impossible to hide?? I heard the only difference=blades of the turbo fan have a more aggressive cut.

From everything I've been told the KKK04 turbo looks the same on the outside, and has more aggressive blades on the turbo fan to push more air, but at the same time, at low rpms this causes a bit more lag.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the KKK04 looks different from the outside. Please correct me if I'm wrong. A website with a picture would be most helpful.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett
Old 12-11-1999, 07:06 AM
mne

Default Truth is I dont know for sure... but I'm betting its got at least a larger inlet... More

AND a larger, not more agressively angled impeller. I think any turbo manufacturer would max-out its impellers for volume and efficiency. I would think therefore that at the very least the K04 would be a dimensionally larger housing and inlet with a correspondingly larger impeller. May share the same base flange. And the only reason I believe any of this to be true is the touted lag difference between the two units. I dont believe a more agressive impeller, in and of itself, could be responsible for such a pronounced difference in spool times without some accompanying larger internal volumes. Conversely I would think that a more extreme impeller would reach its compression stage even faster. I just gotta believe the KO4 is a larger unit based on this knowledge. And I'll go even farther out on a limb and hypothesize its got to be somewhere in the 15-20% dimensionally larger area. But I'm out on a limb here... nothing carved in stone or empirical about any of this till I hear from someone that knows or see both units side-by-side.
Old 12-11-1999, 07:31 AM
Jenner

Default Pictures of Taps K03 turbo and K24(KKK04?) on their website, they look the same size(url inside)

Stage 3 with "Sport K03" turbo pictured:
http://www.tap1.com/Modifications_by_Model/a1042.jpg

Stage 4 with K24(same as KKK04?) turbo pictured:
http://www.tap1.com/Modifications_by_Model/a1041.jpg

When I go to get my springs installed I'll ask and see if they know the answer to this.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett
Old 12-11-1999, 07:53 AM
mne

I just put the question to em over at A4 "performance" forum... they know... post when its answered (nt)
Old 12-11-1999, 08:14 AM
mne

Default 1st response is in Jenner and it would agree with you. Only part#/Ser# give it away and... more

they're hidden when the unit is installed. Hmmmmm

Quick Reply: Question for Mne: HP & torque & stats with chip & borla (more)