TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question for the resident auto-audiophiles regarding custom installation work

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the resident auto-audiophiles regarding custom installation work

Just went to Tweeter and received this quote on upgrading the front speakers in my TTR:

Xtant 202M 2 Channel Amp $226.00
Boston 6.5" Pro Series Separates $449.99
Monster RCA Cable Kit $49.95
Monster 200W Amp Power Kit $29.95
2 Dynomat Door Kits (12 sq.ft) $179.98
Amp Labor $50.00
Speaker Labor $75.00
Dynomat Labor $135.00

I had a box with two 8" subs dropped in the trunk and I have a nasty rattle coming from back there now everytime the bass is cranked up. So they're guesstimating at least 3 hours to troubleshoot that with the Dynomat (trying one spot - doesn't work - try the next spot - and so on ...). Sounds fairly reasonable to me.

Total (with tax): $1261 <- Does this sound about right?

The advisor there said this should even out the sound a great deal - it's understandably VERY bottom heavy right now.

Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-19-2001, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think xtant discontinued their m-line of amps, so . . .

make sure you're not paying retail if that's the case.

I think Larry had his work done there, so he should be able to comment on labor fees.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:16 AM
Elder Member

Default Which Tweeter are you going to?

I went to the one in Newington, CT . . . Chris Pound the installer is no longer there. He went out on his own.

As for the prices, look VERY reasonable to me. My install cost quite a bit more, but I had more done. Everything looks good to me. See if they will play with you on the prices of the hardware. Those prices are retail, maybe they will drop them 5-10%. You never know

Where are you installing the amp? In the opening at the back of the trunk?
Old 10-19-2001, 09:31 AM

Default Your $0.02 are much appreciated Larry (more)

I'd like to have the work done at the Tweeter here in Warwick (RI). They did my sub install and I was happy with the service and the quality of their work. That in mind, I think you're right - it probably would be worth it to haggle with them a bit, especially since I'm a repeat customer.

They're installing the amp in a small compartment in the boot of the convertible top (where my other amp is already installed). I'm not sure what this little area is for but there's a small cover that goes over it so it was there before. The installer said the location couldn't have been more convenient from his standpoint.

What's your take on the quality of Boston speakers? I'm no audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, but I did listen to the speakers in the showroom with an amp and sub similar to mine and they sounded great. The highs blew away the factory Bose speakers and the midrange is MUCH cleaner.

And one last question: should I be worried that (as John P. mentioned in response to my post) Xtant is discontinuing their M line of amps? I'm getting the amp at almost $100 less than retail because of that. But should I perhaps look into getting something newer and "fresher" so to speak?

Again ... thank you much for your advice!
Old 10-19-2001, 09:38 AM
Elder Member

Default hmmm . . .

I have the BA Pro 6.5's in my doors and their BA 8.5LF sub in a custom enclosure in my hatch. I love the sound of New England speakers (except for Bose) lol

As for the Xtant amp? I have the 603x and it sounds so nice. I see no reason to not get the 202M. So what if they are replacing it? Everything gets replaced eventually and there is nothing wrong with the 202M. What is replacing it? Something bigger, smaller? More expensive?

I would get the 202M myself. But it is up to you.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:40 AM

Sold. Thanks ... everything I wanted to know.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:44 AM
Elder Member

Default click on the bottom line of my signature, for my Fotki album . .

then find my stereo pics under TT mods.

There you will see all of my custom stereo work as performed at Tweeter.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree. Don't worry that xtant isn't making the amp any longer--it's still a

fine amplifier. I'm using a 10 year-old a/d/s/ amp--there's really no reason for concern.

Just don't pay full retail for it!
Old 10-19-2001, 09:48 AM

Default That's what I was just looking at actually ...

A testament to your fondness of Boston Acoustics. It looks great - I honestly never figured a "chain" shop like Tweeter could provide such excellent custom work. I don't know ... just a hang-up I have I guess.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:50 AM

Default The fellow at Tweeter has been pretty upfront with me everytime

I've gone in there. But it's good to know because I wouldn't have immediately thought to ask.

Quick Reply: Question for the resident auto-audiophiles regarding custom installation work