TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

question on salvage value 2005 TT roadster 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default question on salvage value 2005 TT roadster 3.2

Looking at a father son rebuild project and have located a one owner lightly hit 2005 TT s-line roadster with under 50K miles.
Will need both headlights/ bumper cover/hood and radiator core support as a starting point.
All parts are available used, locally in the same color as the wreck , so that helps a bit
I realize this is a very subjective question but what $$$ range is this worth as a salvage vehicle, both to procure and once its repaired correctly
Thanks for any guidance
Tbruz
Old 02-25-2019, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

It's worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. The car itself as-is is essentially worthless. But maybe you can sell the wheels (I'll assume bald tires) for $300/set if they are OEM in decent shape. Is the Haldex rear differential good? We don't know so assume no. Then maybe worth $100.00 Is the engine good? Then we can get $1000.00 for it.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply Mister Bally
Fully understand that value is variable by individual but is a $3K-3.5K acquisition cost for a low mile wreck an unreasonable number to spend given that it will likely need $2k of parts.
It appears to have been well maintained(up to the wreck) engine is good, wheels are clean and unblemished. No idea on Haldex rear end. Vehicle was not driven in winters, mint interior and has very recent tires/brakes; less than 5k miles.

Bottom line is when done have I put 5 to 6K into a car worth only 3k ?
Thanks
Tbruz
Old 02-25-2019, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 249 Likes on 212 Posts

You can do a nationwide search on cars.com and autotrader with your parameters to get market value of a 2005 3.2 with xxx mileage. However, your car will be worth significantly less than that because of its salvage title. Bottom line is you'd have to get the car for almost free or you will invest more than the car is worth.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

IMHO It is likely worth 8 or 9 thousand if repaired well. So if you can fix it for 3 thousand, it’s worth at least 3 thousand. I doubt they will get that though. I would make a low ball offer and see what happens.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The other thing to consider, is what you will do with the vehicle after it is repaired. If you plan on selling it, then it needs to be on a cost recovery basis. But if you plan on keeping the vehicle and enjoy it, then the work both of you put in and a few thousand 'over and above' $ may be worth it as well... only you can answer that.

Last edited by JoeKan; 02-25-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One key question is 'how deep is the damage?' Were any airbags deployed in the accident?
What are the laws regarding licensing a 'salvage' titled vehicle in your state? In my state the vehicle (once repaired) will have to be
inspected by the DMV for correct and operable condition, including safety equipment. That usually means towing to the Inspection Station .Once inspected (fees applies) a 'Rebuilt' title will be
issued. Value of the vehicle is diminished greatly with a branded title.
Having been through the process I made the decision never to do it again. It's just not viable $ wise in the end.
Too many 'clean' vehicles out there that just need some TLC, that will bring a return on investment without unnecessary expense/time.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I went ahead and purchased the vehicle after an inspection and a quick start/drive. No engine issues,no airbags were deployed and no CEL or any warning lights on dash.
Radiator support/radiator/AC condenser and fans will all need to be replaced along with the hood, headlights and front bumper cover.
Toughest part to root out so far has been the s-line bumper cover but I think I have a line on a refurbished one.
I decided that the end use of the vehicle will be as a "fun car" for my family to use.
I'm not doing this for a flip or for profit so as long as I'm having fun and enjoying the rebuild that will provide "entertainment value"
Will be posting up additional questions separately as they come up.
Appreciate everyone's input...
Thanks
Tbruz
Old 03-06-2019, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Good to see another one getting rescued. Sounds like it’s in good hands too!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Would love to see a 'restoration' thread documenting your progress. Separate Qs asking questions, but document in the main thread. A great resto log. I learn so much from those... ��

Quick Reply: question on salvage value 2005 TT roadster 3.2