TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Random thoughts on a 2nd and closer look at a Solstice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random thoughts on a 2nd and closer look at a Solstice...

I spent some time today looking at a Solstice pretty closely.

While the interior and exterior on the surface look cool, if its what "floats your boat" (it is NOTHING like what the TT does for me though!...and I suspect for many others here), the parts quality, detail and finish is basic, garden-variety, generic GM. For example, those expecting a finished trunk and engine compartment like what Audi does across their entire car line, will be disappointed. While the fit looks pretty good, much of the material quality is just nothing like what we are used to from either VW or Audi. Also, a big negative with this car is that with the top down, there is only sliver of trunk space at the rear which is hard to even get to...it's a joke and makes the car useless for a weekend trip unless it's for one and you pack lightly and what luggage you have you stick it in the passenger area. Another random thought is that you sit pretty low in this car and it envelops you very much like the new Z or 'vette....not what I like but probably because I am used to 5 years of the TT roadster.

Hat's off to GM though for producing this car for a $23k+ price. There will be move-up buyers to the Miata, S2K, TT and Boxter at some point which is good for the overall roadster market.

BTW, I did a similar looksie at the new Miata last weekend and as I suspected, the fit 'n finish levels are a couple of notches higher if not approaching Audi. Also, the new Miata seems just that much more refined...it is a Mk III and Mazda has 15 years of customer experiences to leverage though.

Both cars need a little more power which I imagine they will get in the next model year. I have not driven either of them, but with a more balanced weight distribution and lightness, early reviews are very positive. The extra power though of the TT does make up for our average handling and bad weight distribution.

Net/net on the Pontiac, while I really liked it when I first saw it, after a closer inspection today, I'm not even interested in driving one.

I'll be interested to hear what you other TT folks think...
Old 10-22-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Closed the door and watched the inside plastic panel shudder...did it every time.

I agree with you - kind of interesting looking, and how could I not like the concept of a smallish, two seat roadster that's all about a high-fun quotient? But the closer I looked when I sat in (at GM HQ in Detroit), the less I liked it. The materials, fit and finish all felt a little cheaper than the price.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i must admit, the Solstice has presence on the road.

...unlike the "new" Miata, which i saw again the other day, it kind of looked like an "old" Miata with a bad body kit......i won't deny it's probably a good car to drive...i'm sure it is, but it doesn't evoke much emotion in my opinion.

the Solstice seems like a cool car. i like it. i wouldn't buy one...but i like it.....i mistook one for something much more expensive the first time i saw it from the back, from a distance.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:52 PM

Default yea and the whole convertible top configuration is really funky...

I noticed this in the prototype at the auto show and they didn't even change it!
Old 10-22-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Yeah, I read about it and was shocked they screwed that up...I mean>>>

what the hell could be more important on a roadster than the ease with which you can lower/raise the top!!??? Again, amazing that they missed one they had to hit out of the park there...
Old 10-22-2005, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

interesting...Id like to see one myself,upclose
Old 10-22-2005, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeremy Clarkson (from Top Gear) said that these cars are a watered down (my paraphrase)

Vauxhall VXR220. He actually said that about the Saturn Sky, but the Pontiac is the same car.

They actually do look the same and I'm inclined to believe Top Gear.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default if only they could have dropped 500kg in weight and thrown on a turbo

<ul><li><a href="http://www.autozine.org/html/GM/Solstice.html">http://www.autozine.org/html/GM/Solstice.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-23-2005, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I agreecompletely with all your observations...>>

Solstice is generic GM, Mazda is a nicely done car.