TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Really high mileage mk1 - to buy?

Old 08-10-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really high mileage mk1 - to buy?

Hey all, I'm looking at buying a 190k 02 TT... I know it's super high mileage, but it looks like the guy has done quite a bit of maintenance on it to things that are prone to fail... https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-audi-tt-quattro/6664841356.html
hes asking short change for it (I'd offer 1750), and I drive about 3-4k grandpa miles a year, so I wouldn't be racking a huge amount. What do you guys think? I only start a new thread as all others about buying higher mileage TT's are 5-10 years old.
​​​​​i feel like if I get this thing, I'll be on this forum a lot 😊 thanks in advance
Old 08-10-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Peegle, welcome aboard!

I'd always have serious reservations about buying a car of that vintage if it has been used in New England all its life. I don't know anything about the annual vehicle inspection for NH, but I'd see that as a near-term concern with the MIL illuminated, etc.

I think you would want to closely inspect it and carefully review the undercarriage. Parts for these cars are not cheap - - you could be in deep ($$$$) very quickly if it's in need of all sorts of things...

Can you find someone with the VCDS tool and have them do a full scan on ALL the car's systems?

Would you consider looking for a southern car for at a higher price?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, uberwgn! I do have access to a code scanner, which I will be bringing along with me... I did ask about the undercarriage and he mentioned there being "typical" New England rust, being surface rust. When I check it out, that is the first thing I'm going to look for (something learned early on living in NH &#128513. Something I should've also mentioned is I would only keep it for 3ish years (putting around 10k on it). Not sure if that changes anything, but figured id through it out there...
Old 08-10-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default I don't beleive the seller's prior work claims

Originally Posted by Peegle
Hey all, I'm looking at buying a 190k 02 TT... I know it's super high mileage, but it looks like the guy has done quite a bit of maintenance on it to things that are prone to fail... https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002...664841356.html
hes asking short change for it (I'd offer 1750), and I drive about 3-4k grandpa miles a year, so I wouldn't be racking a huge amount. What do you guys think? I only start a new thread as all others about buying higher mileage TT's are 5-10 years old.
​​​​​i feel like if I get this thing, I'll be on this forum a lot 😊 thanks in advance
He says the cam chain tensioner was replaced. The engine does not have a timing chain, it has a timing belt. Giving the benefit of the doubt that this is a typo, he should have changed the timing belt and the water pump at the same time. If he did not replace all these parts (and can prove it with receipts), you will have to. The kit is about $550 plus labor.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
He says the cam chain tensioner was replaced. The engine does not have a timing chain, it has a timing belt. Giving the benefit of the doubt that this is a typo, he should have changed the timing belt and the water pump at the same time. If he did not replace all these parts (and can prove it with receipts), you will have to. The kit is about $550 plus labor.
Interesting - I thought the timing belt and cam chain tensioner chains were separate on these? Either way it brings up the issue of the timing belt, which he says nothing about in the ad. I'll see what he has for history on the timing belt, and most likely walk away if he has nothing, the only other alternative being to talk the price waaaaaay down to compensate for the work being done.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Interesting - I thought the timing belt and cam chain tensioner chains were separate on these? !
They are. No Typo. There are two camshafts under the valve cover. They are tied via a chain. The chain tensioner is a expensive part to purchase.

One of the camshafts is driven from the crankshaft via a Timing Belt.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Well I learned something new

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
They are. No Typo. There are two camshafts under the valve cover. They are tied via a chain. The chain tensioner is a expensive part to purchase.

One of the camshafts is driven from the crankshaft via a Timing Belt.
Never heard of the chain tensioner being replaced but the car is high mileage.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

For anyone interested, I decided not to buy it - too high of mileage with no history of the belt, and only a little wiggle room in the price... Couldn't justify it. Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 08-31-2018, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey all, I'm looking at buying a 190k 02 TT... I know it's super high mileage, but it looks like the guy has done quite a bit of maintenance on it to things that are prone to fail... https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002...664841356.html
Okay, in my honest opinion this question all comes down to this:

Are you handy? Have you worked on cars before? Can you clean and repair circuit boards, pull engines, replace clutches and timing belts, mend broken plastic or source used parts to replace them? Do you have a network of mechanics that can help you if and when you get stuck with a problem that will drive you bonkers?

Are you willing to get a hold of and learn the complex diagnostic software known as VAGCOM?

If you have answered yes to 90% of these criteria, then absolutely grab the car.

If you are not handy, you're going to go bankrupt with these cars. Sure the car is cheap but originally the car was on par in terms of price with a porsche and excellent audi/vw mechanics who understand the intricacies of VAGCOM are difficult to come by. They are also no cheap.

If you're not handy, you will pay hundreds to replace parts that cost a few dollars and a few minutes.

If you're not handy, you will drown in this car.