TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Rear end grind in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end grind in reverse

Hey guys, I'm new to the Audi world so I hope you guys can help me out! I searched the forum but didn't find my specific problem yet...

My TT (in sig) sat for 2 weeks while I was on vacation and when I got back I noticed it is now making a grinding noise when backing out of the driveway or a parking spot. It almost sounds like a tire rubbing but it's not. It only does it while I'm backing up and turning at the same time, the sharper the turn the louder the noise.

I've seen a lot written about the Haldex, and I was thinking it could be low on fluid, but it only does it in reverse and I haven't seen any drips under the car. Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RowdyAudi
Hey guys, I'm new to the Audi world so I hope you guys can help me out! I searched the forum but didn't find my specific problem yet...

My TT (in sig) sat for 2 weeks while I was on vacation and when I got back I noticed it is now making a grinding noise when backing out of the driveway or a parking spot. It almost sounds like a tire rubbing but it's not. It only does it while I'm backing up and turning at the same time, the sharper the turn the louder the noise.

I've seen a lot written about the Haldex, and I was thinking it could be low on fluid, but it only does it in reverse and I haven't seen any drips under the car. Any ideas?
The haldex oil and filter is supposed to be changed every 20Kmiles, and they frequently aren't.

I would jack the car up an turn the wheels backwards to see if you can hear noise.

Wheel bearings and also brakes can cause this noise.

The haldex oil and filter change is DIY with the "special wrench" for around $70.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, AudiMick. I am a do-it-yourself kinda girl, and have always done most of my own simple car maintenance, so I will need to get that "special tool". Any idea what the real name is and where's I can get the best deal on one?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Would that be the "Haldex oil filter wrench"?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Would that be the "Haldex oil filter wrench"?
Yes - that should be it.

Before tackling this seemingly easy job, let me warn you that it's not as easy as it seems.

I have finally come to the realization that because I don't have a lift in my garage, I will pay the $130 or so to have this done every couple of years (independent shop). The hassle of trying to get and keep the Haldex fluid in the unit just isn't worth it for me. I was able to waste 2 tubes of Haldex fluid trying to shoot that stuff into the Haldex unit only to have it pour out/shoot all over my garage/shirt/dog while on my back trying to service the unit while the TT was on jack stands.

Seriously, it's not a very hard job on paper, but in reality it's kind of a PITA.

Save the money set aside for the wrench and save your sanity. It only took my shop 15 minutes to do the service and I wasn't wearing Haldex fluid afterward.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I know how some seemingly simple jobs can be a pita...try changing the spark plugs on a '95 Z28!

I have a friend with an import shop that I am hitting up to use his vag-com (clear the service light, figur eout why tach isn't working), so I'll just have him do it while I'm there.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the advice. I know how some seemingly simple jobs can be a pita...try changing the spark plugs on a '95 Z28!

I have a friend with an import shop that I am hitting up to use his vag-com (clear the service light, figur eout why tach isn't working), so I'll just have him do it while I'm there.
Ah, very good.

Actually, it would be a snap if you can get under it on a lift, I just don't have access to a lift.