TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Reprogramming key fob after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix Ziwoya
try a full reboot of the cars computer and see if resyncing your key helps the issue. First disconnect both battery terminals then touch um togeather to drain the last of the power from the car and leave your car for 15 minutes. After your done put your key in the ignition turn to power on and leave it for 15 minutes. When thats done flip the key to power off then start see if that helps.
You left out the step where you place your tongue on each of the battery terminals for 10 seconds while standing barefoot in two buckets of water.
Otherwise known as the "two bucket" method.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newfinish
1# you take one key put into ignition turn on.

2# close door, lock it with the key hole on driver side,with the key you want to program.

3#once it's lock take the key of the door out press the open button once or 2 or 3 or 4 times depending on which key is being reprogrammed(for the seats memory)you will see your side blink every time you press ,wait 6 secs press again once.take the other key in ignition out.

close the door and try locking with the reprogrammed key.

if you lost the program on other key it's just you didn't select the right memory,so set the right number for the right key
Ex:my wife is 1# in memory seat,mine is 2#.
so i had to press twice in 3# step.
PERFECT!

I bought a new to me 2001 TT Quattro convertible in February 2017. Received two remote key fobs. One fob battery was dead and one fob worked just fine. Replaced the batteries in the dead fob, followed the instructions above, and now I have two key fobs that work.

THANK YOU!!!

Russ
The following users liked this post:
F1TT (01-05-2022)
Old 04-27-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Selling my 2001 today and dug out my old spare key, which no longer worked. This procedure still works, thanks!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It worked

thank you guys, the two keys procedure worked just great
Old 11-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default sorry old thread,and possibly wrong area but stuck in freezing weather

my 04 Audi a8l all the sudden wouldn't respond to me walking up to it as usual, hitting unlock button like normal,no lights flash,no door lock/unlock sound..
Purchased brand new battery (same #)installed, still nothing,my car battery isn't dead!! and this car has no external keyhole on doors,and if i use key to open trunk the seats dnt fold down (the trunk shuts automatically, thats why i believe battery in car is fine),remote doesn't work on trunk either,WHAT DO I DO????
Old 08-24-2019, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2# close door, lock it with the key hole on driver side,with the key you want to program.

3#once it's lock take the key of the door out press the open button once or 2 or 3 or 4 times depending on which key is being reprogrammed(for the seats memory)you will see your side blink every time you press ,wait 6 secs press again once.take the other key in ignition out.

if you lost the program on other key it's just you didn't select the right memory,so set the right number for the right key
Hi Newfish
This works fine - thansk for the adivce :-)
Regs
Björn
Old 09-12-2019, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Key fob

I've tried everything and i get no place, the center console now works and car alarm works, but neither key fob, i guess I'm going have to pay audi $170 bucks to get it done
Old 11-07-2019, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

These instructions worked for my 2002 A6 key fob issue. THANK YOU!!!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

On some models you don't even need second key. Few minutes ago I just relinked my key by just switching on ignition, then pressed unlock button four times and after waiting 3-5 seconds pressed it once again and voila - my key is linked back.
Audi A4 2006.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Should the car be turned on, in other words running, or should the switch just be clicked to the on position?
I have a 2001 TT and the instructions are not working for me. Wondering if I am missing something

Quick Reply: Reprogramming key fob after battery replacement