TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Requesting TT buying advice....please

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Requesting TT buying advice....please

OK all, I've written here before looking for advice, and now I need some more on a few fronts (bear with me, sorry to be long winded).

I'm graduating in a few weeks and as a reward for not failing out I'm getting a new car. The TTC is one of the options...but I need some advice:

Space and price are a premium as I decided that 4 years of college weren't enough punishment I'm going off to grad school. I like the hatchback, roof rack ability, ability to drive in snow, great gas mileage, and free service (is it really free?). Based on these factors, and my left knee being pretty torn apart, I'm thinking of getting the tiptronic. So my first question is:

1) Am I a wuss/deserve to be shot/scum of humanity? I DO know how to drive stick (been driving since I learned at 12 with a 4 on the floor....on a tractor :P) and I drive stick now. Can some of the brand new owners with Tip give me their honest opinions/reasons for getting tip?
Then...

2) Of bigger importance...what kind of deal should I be looking for on this car. I know that it is a limited production car, but with the economy and auto industry where it is I refuse to pay sticker. Some general ballpark would be really nice.

3) Any little reasons you can give me that I can use to convince my parents to get the TT. They really like the Honda Accord Coupe (blech). I need to sell them on this car. My dad is anti-Audi as he swears by consumer reports which said, basically, the TT sucks.

4) Is it OK to drive the TT brand new half way across the country? I don't want to buy from Carousel in Minneapolis as they've treated me like complete [censored] every time I go in there, even with my parents.

Alright...it's a lot, I know, and I have used the search. I think it would be great though to get a `buyers guide' for the new/potential TT owner from the experienced/seasoned TT owners. Thanks in advance.
Dan
Old 03-11-2003, 06:36 PM

2) Limited production as in tons on dealer lots. Not sure of specifics but should get a good deal
Old 03-11-2003, 07:13 PM
KD
AudiWorld Member

Last mod on your sig has me ROFL
Old 03-11-2003, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that's funny
Old 03-11-2003, 08:03 PM

I'm going back for time #3 next week to get that mod removed
Old 03-11-2003, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Test drive a TT, it'll be worth your time.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Okay....

(1) No, you're not the scum of humanity for wanting a tip. Especially for medical reasons, since the TT's clutch is a pretty long throw. The Tip on our A4, however, sucks, and badly: the shift response is slow and muted, and doesn't bang into gear like my (eek, Honda) did, which I prefer. It all depends upon what you can deal with. Drive 'em - I haven't driven the TT Tip, but I'm sure I could <i>never </i>live with it. You, however, might be totally fine with it. In such case, it's perfect. Note that we'll have to nickname you TTip-Boy once you get it, though (kidding).

(2) What you pay for the car depends upon the dealer, as well as how hard you swing the bat. My dealer was a fairly high-volume unit in an affluent suburb of Seattle (Bellevue). Initially, I didn't think they'd be willing to play ball on the price, but I ended up getting it for near invoice (~$38k; sticker was $42.5 I have a 225hp quattro roadster, with most of the extras [no nav or alcantara]).My stratgy was basically this: when they'd say "this is what we're selling them for" I'd say "I don't care." They say "but this and but that" and I'd say "but I really don't care. What other people are paying means nothing to me, and if you want to sell me this car, you're going to have to realize that. And try harder." Etc., etc. I never asked for below invoice, though. My price was probably better than my negotiation skills.

I think that, across the TT market, there are deals to be had. Try to buy off the lot. And go in at the end of the month. And pretend you dad wants one too, or something.

(3) It's difficult to convince someone with a Consumer Reports mindset otherwise. Note that CR is just a bunch of narrow-minded blowhards that focus on the often irrelevant and obscure details to judge a car: "tires wear out quickly" or "is less fuel-effecient than other cars in its class"... well no ****! It's a different car than others in its "class." +Yes the tires will wear out faster - it's a sports car. There are tradeoffs to be made that I don't think CR can incorporate into their quant-based ratings. Plus, they're all wusses.

<b> The best piece of ammunuition I can offer here is that their reliability ratings are based off of the first model years of the TT, years which are notoriously poor for <i>any</I> car.</b> The early build/model year TTs had far more problems than the current cars; the current cars are far more reliable. Plus, the cost of maintenance is a fat zero dollars - really. Bulbs, fluids, oil changes, even wiper blades - included. You can walk in off the street and tell them to refill your washer fluid, if you want. Plus, the roadside rescue thing is totally included. No matter where you are in the US or Canada, they'll come save you. Pretty cool if the **** does hit the fan.

Your cost of ownership for the TT will be limited to the payment and the insurance, plus the fuel. Maybe some tires. And maybe some speeding tickets. Tell your dad that you'll be practical when you get a family; for now you'd prefer to enjoy your freedom to have something like a TT.

(4)There's a 1,000 mile break-in period on the TT engine, and part of the recommendations is that you don't let the motor rev too high or for too long. But these engines are so well maintained and engineered, I think that as long as you took it easy on the first drive, you'd be fine. Ask Jeff Bipes about Carousel - I remember him mentioning them in the past, and he may have a relationship with a nice salesperson there that'll deserve your comission.

Keep us posted, and good luck.

Geez, talk about blowhards - look at how long this post is.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:07 PM

Default I'll take a stab at this

1. Many feel that sports cars are meant to be shifted manually. However this will be your car so I strongly recommend test driving demos of each and making that decision on your own. After all, you will be the one driving it. As the tiptronic is a new offering on the 2003 TTs, there may not be many here to give you their opinions (except if they have it on other Audi models). You will not be considered a "wuss" though.

2. When I purchased my TT last June, I was able to get somewhere between $1200-$1500 over invoice. There are still 2002s on the lots so you could try to see if there is more room for negociating on those. You can use Edmunds.com for pricing info to see MSRP vs. dealer invoice. I have found it to be helpful in some of my past vehicle purchases.

3. Try explaining the benefits of Quattro to your folks. The TT has many safety features, gets decent gas mileage, holds it's value well, has good warranty/service benefits, and can be driven year round. Plus you really do have pretty good storage volume in the coupe. Plus it's just such a fun vehicle to drive and own.

4. A x-country trip is fun and also a good way to put some break-in miles on a new car. Sorry to hear that you have not been treated well by Carousel Audi. Prior to moving to Texas, I have purchased my last two vehicles from them and have had nothing but the best service from them. I dealt w/ Bob O'Neil, maybe you may want to give him a try.

Good luck and hope this helps!
Mike
Old 03-11-2003, 08:11 PM

(4) AFAIK you're also not supposed to run the engine at the same speed for a long period of time
Old 03-11-2003, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Err... yesh - hence the "too fast or too long." I guess that's not clear. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Requesting TT buying advice....please