TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Review: Ported & Polished 180 exhaust manifold ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Ported & Polished 180 exhaust manifold ...

I have just got my car back from the shop, didnt have much tests on the overall, but the general feeling was very good! Actually the upgrade done helped a lot on the low end torque, now the power is very solid at even sub 1800rpm. i can feel a more powerful turbo boost. The car is definitly breathing much better. It seems that the exhaust is getting quietier too, duno why.

Today was very rainy and roads were wet, therefore i need to have a drier condition to really test out the car, will post some pics and more comments soon.<p>180FWD/17"BBS RX2/S-02PP/PipercrossFilter/PIAA/Wetterauer/Remus/GReddy Turbo gauge&turbo timer/Forge Motorsport dump valve/NGK Iridium/Abt steel brakelines/H&R coilovers/Postert rear spoiler
http://www.geocities.com/ttinhk/index.html
Old 07-17-2000, 11:34 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default See? Now imagine if you had done the 225 and port-matched it!?! One of these days...

someone will listen.
Old 07-17-2000, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Okay ExTTreme, I am listening; however I want to try tuning up the intake manifold first (more)

Will a 225 intake manifold work on a 180 if I have it ported properly? This seems like an easy upgrade, right?

any thought would be appreciated...<p>2000 180CQ D.Blue/Ebony - MII mod
18" Axis Seven / Pirelli SS7000 R225/45
Garrett stage II chip / K&N / EBC Green Stuff
Old 07-17-2000, 04:11 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There's a LOT more power to be had on the intake side. Maybe 4-5 times as much as the exhaust side..

But its not just a walk-in-the-park to swap intake manifolds. Its easy enough to make the actual "swap" but then you have to re-route the intercooler/intake duct to the opposite side of the engine. But if you put in a larger intercooler or the 2nd intercooler from the 225, the inlets will be closer to your now axis-swapped throttle body. You also have to cut into the taped loom of injector wires along the fuel rail and get the throttle body lead wire out so you have enough length to move it to the new 225 intake throttle body on the "now" other side then tape it back into the injector wire loom so it exits on the right (as you face the engine). Then you have to re-route the vacuum line coming off the end of the existing manifold and re-route it back to the brake booster (which if some of us are right, you or Audi is gonna have to do soon anyway just due to faulty plastic material used in that line).

The stark reality is its not a very worthwhile conversion if you're not going to add the 2nd intercooler or a single, larger custom intercooler and you'll offset any gains. You'll get such pressure drops from running almost 3.5ft of intercooler ductwork if you dont. The one "up" side in this case is the larger intercooler is a much much easier install than the 2nd 225 intercooler on a 180 due to nothing sits in the lower center grill. You'd have to move some things and relocate them if you decide to install the 2nd 225 intercooler. And the net result is my custom-made intercooler will be over 2.5 times more efficient than the 2nd Audi intercooler with a corresponding/similar larger surface area for cooling and it will sit DIRECTLY in the flow of air unlike stock IC's which are recessed AND angled downward.

But expect the 225 intake manifold, port-matched with a full width intercooler to yield about 50HP on a stock 180 with an aftermarket exhaust and some custom chip programming. About 25HP less on a 225 using stock dual intercoolers. And very likely closer to 100+HP on a K04-converted 180 with a 225 extrude-honed intake, 225 exhaust manifold (both port-matched)and a 3" downpipe and high-flow cat and custom tuned chip, due to its higher compression ratios.

I'm fully expecting 320+HP at the crank with this conversion and 285+ at the wheels. Maybe even 300 at the wheels. My desktop dyno software gets a little vague with some of these mods and I'm flying "SOP", albeit VERY conservatively, figuring its better to be pleasantly surprised then devastated.
Old 07-17-2000, 08:25 PM

Default Too much power in a FWD for me already !

<p>180FWD/17"BBS RX2/S-02PP/PipercrossFilter/PIAA/Wetterauer/Remus/GReddy Turbo gauge&turbo timer/Forge Motorsport dump valve/NGK Iridium/Abt steel brakelines/H&R coilovers/Postert rear spoiler/Ported&Polished manifold
http://www.geocities.com/ttinhk/i
Old 07-18-2000, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Impressive ExTTreme, however I think that was way over my head!! (more)

So I am going to assume that the intake manifold swap is not easy and will require more than just the intake part swap; it sounds like the 225 intake has a differnt setup?? I may just port and polish the 180 intake; a much easier job for a novice like myself - I am reasonably happy with the car already, but can't resist doing easy upgrades.

Is the switch of EXHAUST manifolds from 180 to 225 a basic swap, or does it too require more parts 'massaging' and 'fidgeting'?<p>2000 180CQ D.Blue/Ebony - MII mod
18" Axis Seven / Pirelli SS7000 R225/45
Garrett stage II chip / K&N / EBC Green Stuff