TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Roadster Owners who have used the Porsched Top cleaner and Protectant....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Roadster Owners who have used the Porsched Top cleaner and Protectant....

I used a capfull of cleaner, did a thorough sponge scrub. Once dry, I taped off around the top and taped off the rear window. It took about 3/4 of the can of Protectant to get the whole top done, so I just kept spraying and used up the whole can.

What did you do? Whole can or more/less? How often do you use the cleaner, and how often do you use the protectant?

I assume the protectant is akin to ScotchGuard, does it do more than that?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I use the cleaner though not the protectant>>>

probably not more than twice a year for the top shampoo. The rest of the time I just sprinkle it during my hand washes, and towel dry. I use the Ragtopp protectant, and I'm on my first can still. Once in each of the first two years I've had the car, haven't done it yet this year. A little seems to go a long way, since I've noticed water beads up strongly on my top, though are a couple of spots (where the bottom of the c-pillar would be on a coupe) that could use a touch-up.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re:just did my top with ragtop from Emmons

I am very happy with it.Took a little while for good prep,taping window in rear.I used an old sheet and cut it in half and drapped it over each door so no protectant spray could linger onto my paint.I also used the other sheet to cover the windshield.I open the roadster top layed the sheet over windsheid and closed top and it made good for stoppping any overspray on windshield.I also found that if you get and on the back window,it may be hard to remove.Use a little Mequiars quik detail to help remove,followed by a good window cleaner for polish.Well hope you like my imput with my experience.
2001 amulet roadster quattro 225hp.....well little more then that with some mods
Old 05-22-2005, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Having owned convertibles for 40 years.....

Vinyl tops take a beating and keep on ticking. Wash them every time you wash the car. Make sure the wash cloth is free of grease before you start and do the top first.

Cloth tops like those on the TT are a different breed. Wash them as seldom as possible and ALWAYS air dry them, no hand towles.

I only wash mine 2-4 times a year, usually just before I add the protectant. If there is just surface grime between washings, I only spray the top with plain water from a hose. When I do wash, I use a new cloth. I talked to the folks at Porsche and while they are glad to sell you their high priced stuff, they freely admit that the "cleaner" is no better than any good brand of car wash liquid and the protectant is merely re-badged scotch-guard. I bought both Porsche products once just to see if the Porsche stuff was any better than my generics and I could not see any difference. The way I apply the protectant, the Porsche protectant lasted me for 4 applications.

However, keep in mind we only get 3" of rain a year here.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You confused me on this one.... "I use the cleaner though not the protectant" followed by "I use..

"...Ragtopp protectant, and I'm on my first can still"

I take it you DO use the spray? You are on the first can after what period of time, and how many applications?
Old 05-22-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Yeah, you were asking about both the Porsche cleaner and the spray protectant, right??

I use Porsche Tequipment cleaner, but not the protectant - I use Raggtopp instead.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re:just did my top with ragtop from Emmons

Where do you get this stuff?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re:I did a search for Ragtop on Google

I bought it from Emmons web site I think for the cleaner and protectant I paid 27.00 + shipping.I taped off the back window and took 2 old sheet cut one in half drapped each piece over dorrs then closed them and open the top and slid the other sheet over ,between top and car and closed the top.I wanted to protect from overspray.If you get the protectant on windows it'll take a little elbow grease to get off.I tried a little Mequiars Quik detail and it helped alot in the removal of any over spray.Then followed buy some good window cleaner.Hope that helps out.