TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Rough First Gear in Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 04:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough First Gear in Traffic

Hello, I have a 2005 Automatic Audi TT 3.2 that has been acting up recently. After sitting in stop and go traffic for awhile, 1st gear is very rough and the revs dip every time and the car jerks forward a little. It gets worse the more I sit in traffic until the point where once I'm driving again and come to a stop sign/light it puts itself in neutral then clicks back into first and the whole car jerks. The EPC light is on for a faulty brake light sensor but I didn't think it could just be this since it gets worse and only comes up after traffic. All other times the car runs and shifts great. I do have a Ross-Tech VAG COM system and am open to any suggestions. Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-07-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If you search JERK,HESITATE word, you will find that most of German car owner complain the same issue as you.
Do not be surprise, why different car manufacturer Merc,BMW,Audi or even Porsche have exactly the same problem.
Because all of them use same ECU from BOSCH. Bosch is the first one in the world who develop the ECU for car use.
The ECU unit come with the poor firmware from Bosch. This firmware include adaptive drive feafure which adjust the engine
performance. Someone say it learn the driver'style, but no one know what it is.
By this poor adaptive feature, I noticed that it reduce the engine power most of the time.
This will cause rough shift and jerk, because it is not enough power especially at low rev and idle speed.
When you drive you will feel that the car look like no power, it hasitate, always have engine brake.
There is one and same procedure from many post to solve this issue. But no one know what is it.
Just follow it, and it will be better in sometime and temporary.
The poor German car continue to use the poor ECU from Bosch without improving and solving this problem until now.
They let all German car owner in the world get suffer themself, with no any dealer can help.
You may search "transmission reset" to find procedure as I mentioned earlier.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for the delayed response, but I tried resetting the transmission with no luck. The issue still happens even if I switch over to sport mode with the paddles or if I put it into bump shift. I saw something saying that it could be the valve body but before I even go deeper into that, do you think it could be the fluid?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, it is true, depend on your luck. Some can do, but some can not.
It is not valve body or fluid, or anything else. The problem is from Bosch ECU.
The root cause is the firmware of ECU. This firmware accumulate the driving style and
adjust the fuel injection. But unlucky, it adjust to poorer and poorer every day.
Another way is that you send your car to dealer for re-program ECU; to clear all the adaptive value.
Or the last choice is that, you can have your ECU to be reflash. You can find reflash workshop
in your country by searching REFLASH.