TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Sakes Alive! Another tire for me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-1999, 03:15 PM
Y2ktturbo

Default Sakes Alive! Another tire for me!

I am 3-0 vs. the tire gremlins. Lightly bumped a curb today (yeah, right) trying to get out of the way of a Budweiser truck. Narrow 4 lane, no median, curve to the right, 3 inch curb vs. TT wheel and BLAM! Sidewall blowout.

I know the road, so I take the blame on this one. The good news is the wheel is OK, just a bump along the edge. You'd have to be looking for it. Audi Roadside Assistance (otherwise known in the US as AAA) came within 25 minutes to change to the spare (hey, it's included in the price of the car, right?), and away I went to the dealer.

"Mr. L-, you definitely hold the record for tires," the Service Manager said. He addresses everyone as Mr. Surname.

Got a car wash and a coupla potted red Poinsettas for my trouble from the dealer. I love that place.

Originally I had planned to keep a spare tire on hand at home in case of these incidents, since they were so hard to get. (Potenza RE04091Y) Dealer said he can get them in a coupla days. Let's see if I can go that long without blowing another out!

More kudos for the TT (sorry so long, I missed you (genderless) guys today. When the tire blew, I had complete control at 45 mph. Only when I let go of the wheel and she dove right was I sure I'd dropped a tire. When we blew a tire in the old Jeep GC it was wrasslin time.

OK, I'm done. Thanks for your sympathy.

Ivan