TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Search down -- Need help. Has anyone done a Star Tac integration with

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Search down -- Need help. Has anyone done a Star Tac integration with

the Audio system? I have a friend with a new allroad who wants me to integrate her phone.
Old 01-02-2001, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2001, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of posts...

I understand the search is down. People a lot more technical than me haven't done it. They're switching to Nokias and then integrating. I opted out for the earpiece and lighter plug. There is a chat forum set up specifically for this, but the URL is at home. I'll post later if noone else helps.
Old 01-02-2001, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Star Tac's are difficult because of the connector...

I have tried it, found a connector, and tried to integrate it into the TT. There are poor sets of pin-out data from this connector, to provide decent quality or reliable sets of connections.
Your best bet is to get one of the many `Hands Free' set ups on the market for StarTacs, take it apart, and re-wire it into the TT.
It can be done.
You will be able to get speaker out and mike in from this set up, and if you can follow a schematic, and can wire it, it can be done, but there are no "off the shelf" or "Blister pack" complete solutions to do this.

I did this now with an Audiovox phone, using a mike to amplify the phone speaker, and did manage to integrate this into the TT, using an after-market phone mute circuit, a low-cost mike amplifier, a home-built phone charger, and following two sets of schematics, was able to get this to work in my TTR.
It's not easy, and it's not for the technically challenged, not to blow my own horn.
In fact, I don't really like the results, and am hard at work on version II, that is easier to use, install, build, etc., than can work with any cell phone.

Go here, to see what the best installation and modification of this looks like, and what it takes to accomplish this.<ul><li><a href="http://www.inkarchitects.com/audi/nokia3/project.htm">Nokia Hands Free Install</a></li></ul>