TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Silver with 17inch Chrome Competition Alloys Go / No Go ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-1999, 12:25 PM
Darren (UK)

Default Silver with 17inch Chrome Competition Alloys Go / No Go ?

With such shiney chrome wheels does this mean that on a silver body it makes the silver body seem dull, as apposed to std 16/17's that are of similar colouring ?

Anybody got a Silver/17" Comps ?

+ Is the gap between wing and tyre greater on std 16 wheels as apposed to the 17's ?
Old 10-04-1999, 04:07 PM
PeterK

Default Re: Silver with 17inch Chrome Competition Alloys Go / No Go ?

The 17's in the TT Performance pkg in the states are not chromed. rather, they are painted metallic and clearcoated which gives a very uniform appearance IMO and does not detract from the depth of the Lake Silver metallic paint on the body at all. The best advantage of this package is the Bosch Xenon headlights - fantastic illumination at night!

If you are referring to an aftermarket wheel, it probably depends on which particular wheel you are considering. I personally would prefer a duller finish to complement the anodized aluminum accents on the TT. Just my opinion though.

Haven't seen the 16's to compare offset in the wheelwells.
Old 10-05-1999, 01:56 AM
Neil McL

I think the 17" chromed comp alloys, which are only available in the US, look a bit over the top compared to the standard 17" alloys. Having said that I prefer the standard 16" wheels which don't have the problem of scraping against curbs because they are flush to the tyre wall. Also, the gap isn't that noticeable.
Old 10-05-1999, 06:33 AM
Brad Willis

Maybe I can shed some light on this. The TT does not come with chrome wheels from the Audi factory. However, some dealers are chroming the wheels locally and adding that cost to the MSRP (plus a healthy profit, I'm sure). I guess that it's better than a markup with no benefit.

Some of you may know that my Neiman Marcus TT came with polished alloy wheels (looks like chrome). However, I must say that the polished alloys, on my TT anyway, were awful, as the clearcoat finish was breaking down. Audi offered to exchange them for chromed wheels, and I accepted.

My TT is currently in the shop for the 10k mile service, which will include the swap of the wheels, removal of the "crystal pattern" inside of the Xenon headlight covers, and repair of the rattling privacy cover. I saw the chromed wheels yesterday before they were put on my TT and they looked pretty nice. Should be much more durable than the polished alloys.

The real question is, do you like the look of the chromed wheels on your TT. My personal opinion is that they look very good on the NM, great on black, should look pretty good on green or blue, probably not so hot on silver. Let your taste dictate.