TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

...So I was zipping down the road last night, and got pulled over... :-(

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...So I was zipping down the road last night, and got pulled over... :-(

No ticket tho!! Hee-Hee!! I think the dude liked the car!! Just goes to show ya. Ya drive a cool car and more than likely you will not get a ticket. Now, if you drive a ricer...good chance you will!!

Have a great friday!!

cheers,
Chad A.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Unfortunately, around here ticket vs. warning depends more upon skin color than car coolness...

A few years ago I was coming home from a trip with a bunch of friends in a van which was packed to the roof with gear. There were 6 of us in the car. The driver was a young black man, about 21 years old. His hispanic girlfriend was riding in the front passenger seat. My then-fiancee (now wife) and I (who are white) were in the back, together with another couple (also white).

We had the radio on (not loud as we were having a discussion of some sort) and were doing about 65 in a 55 zone somewhere in the suburbs outside of NYC when a police car pulls alongside us and basically forces us off the road.

Once stopped, I figure it will be the usual: Trooper will walk up to the window, ask to see license and registration, waste 20 minutes of our time, and then let us handle the matter by mail.

I was wrong. Instead, I hear the following blasted over the PA from the trooper, who was still in the patrol car: "Driver! Get out of the car and put your hands on the hood".

So I think, this ******* trooper thinks my buddy (the driver) just stole a vanload of stuff and is hauling *** back to the city to sell the loot. I say "EVERYONE get out and put your hands on the hood" -- figuring that some visible "white folks" would change the equation in the troopers head. So we all got out and assumed the position.

Not surprisingly, the moment we all got out of the car and displayed some white skin the trooper's attitude changed entirely. He let us get back in the van, and became slightly less confrontational. He claimed that he'd been signaling us to pull over using his lights and siren for quite some time (a dubious claim, as the radio was not loud). He also claimed that we were doing 75 (also dubious, given how underpowered and overloaded the van was). It seemed like he was trying to excuse the "get out of the car and put your hands on the hood" order.

He eventually did just wright us a ticket and let us proceed, telling us to "slow down and turn down the radio".

The driver went to court (with an attorney) to fight the 75 in 55 violation, planning to tell the whole story to the judge. Luckily for him, however, the trooper never showed up, and the case was dismissed.

I have come to the conclusion that the real reason why we were pulled over is not that we were speeding, but as I surmised originally, that the trooper though that we were some home-boys bringing back the loot from a suburban house burglary. Basically, we were pulled over for DWB - Driving While Black.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:02 AM

Default Had a similiar experience here in Co.

Was cruising down the freeway and passed an unmarked Sheriff. When I got off the freeway he pulled up alongside me. I thought for sure I was toast. After the lecture of how fast I was going, or has he put it, I passed him like he was standing still, he let me go with a warning to slow down. I did, till he got back on the freeway.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think you got lucky...

I had my TT only 3 weeks before I got my first EVER pullover and ticket. But, he probably did
like the car...I won't argue that. :-)
Old 11-22-2002, 07:36 AM

This is the 2nd time in 6 yrs. Pulled over for doin 20+ over the limit..no ticket :-D
Old 11-22-2002, 07:37 AM

BTW - no tickets or points in over 12 years.... Hee hee hee!!
Old 11-22-2002, 08:56 AM

Default You're an idiot...

When an officer gives a specific command ("Driver! Get out of the car and put your hands on the hood".), do what he says. Don't purposely defy him just because you believe it's a bogus stop. Idiotic behavior like yours creates more problems than it solves. If you have a problem with the car stop, complain through the proper channels at a later time.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:01 AM

Default Hell, you don't even slow down on bad dirt roads!

We lost radio contact with you in seconds!
Old 11-22-2002, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Nevertheless, I am 100% certain that this was a case of profiling, nipped in the bud.

I am certain that if the rest of us had not been there he would have been taken in for questioning about where did you get all this expensive gear, etc.

I note that the whole NJ trooper profiling thing started to hit the news just a few months after this incident...