TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

so, the recent refresh of the mini made me wonder ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so, the recent refresh of the mini made me wonder ...

has audi added any new convenience features to the tt since its introduction?

i mean, maybe back in 1999 the tt had a "luxury" interior, but now it's downright primitive. don't get me wrong, it's beautiful and all, but couldn't audi have added a few options since then?

just a few of: auto-dimming/auto-folding mirrors, tilt-down-reverse, rain-sensing wipers, a full-screen nav system, park-distance control, motorized/memory seats, a tire pressure monitor, bluetooth, and xm/sirius

... would've been nice :-( almost all of those options are now available for the mini ... unfortanately, the mini is not awd, or i'd have long since sold my tt.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well a few of the things are your list are options now, others I feel are useless...

XM/Sirus is now an option, tire pressure can be added I believe.

Auto dimming mirror would be nice, and so would power seats. Full screen NAV AND/OR full screen radio, nav, etc controls would be awesome. So would an adaptive cruise control be nice.

But the auto folding mirrors, tilt down reverse, rain sensing wipers, park distance control are just full BS items. My dads A8 has that crap, I find it (and so does he) a total waste of time, money, weight and just gets on our nerves.

The bluetooth and whole cell phone package thing will never be fully used here, only a few people can use that option, and who doesn't have a cell phone now and then goes with the required factory choice?

Since the TT came out they did add the homelink option and Phat Box, but beyond that I think you are right that no other convenience features were added. Oh also the indash CD player was added.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Elder Member

Default everyone has their own set of features they find ...

important. personally, i have almost all of those features on my m3 (the exception being pdc, which i find to be an eyesore), and i love them -- the rain-sensing wipers and tilt-down mirror are two features i really miss since (a) i often drive the tt in the rain and (b) i really like a bit of a safety net when parallel parking with expensive rims.

is a tire pressure monitor system really available? i was not aware of that -- could you provide a link? also i've only seen aftermarket xm/sirius installs, and the phatbox is only officially supported on the roadster, not the coupe.

anyway, the point remains that audi has done very little to improve the creature comforts of the tt since its introduction, while other, much more affordable cars have left it in the dust.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I never understood automatic wipers

When I rainx the car I HATE the wipers, makes things worse. Beyond that when my dads A8 mirrors rotate down when I am backing us they really **** me off, because I can no longer look in the side mirrors at incoming traffic (busy city streets and all) nor can I see the car I am backing in to any more. I am actually really good with wheels on the car, maybe it is just that I can judge the distance real well.

I know people that have installed the phat box in their coupe TT, what do you mean it is not supported?

In terms of the tire pressure system maybe I am thinking tire rack that puts that in. Both of your sets of wheels are after market so it would be really easy to install.

I don't know though, since the TT has been out for 4 and 1/2 years now and made a few upgrades, changes to the interior. I feel the next version TT- 2005 will be a huge change over for it. Which is pretty much like all cars. The M3 was not nearly the car it was a few years back in terms of luxuries. Audi has historically been one to do complete revamps of interiors in terms of functions as opposed to minor changes.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Elder Member

Default answers ...

1. i don't use rain-x because it leaves a haze on my windshield. the automatic wipers are great because i don't need to fiddle trying to find the right setting (which varies not only with the rain rate, but with the speed of the car) -- just turn it on and forget about it.

2. all cars i've seen with the tilt-down feature have an easy way to disable it. if you don't like it, just turn it off forever. personally, i use it all the time, but turn it off when backing out of my garage.

3. i have the phatbox in my tt coupe. it's not officially supported by audi because there is no place large enough to install it. mine is located behind the driver's seat.

4. this thread was about features that audi provides, not aftermarket add-ons. anyway, a good, integrated tire-pressure monitor system does not actually measure the pressure, but instead the number of revolutions of the wheels (taking into account turning and other changes). this is nice because there's nothing to throw off the balance of the wheel, and you don't have to swap the devices around when you swap wheels (e.g., winter -> summer). after swapping wheels or changing tire pressures, you just press a button to recalibrate it, drive for a few hundred feet, and you're done.

5. the m3 has very much kept up with the times by offering bmw assist (like on-star), adaptive led brake lights, bluetooth, xm/sirius, and other features as they emerge -- combined with great features that few other cars have, like motorized adjustable side-bolsters for the front seats. further, there is an active aftermarket scene that provide additional features like a reverse camera, tv-on-nav, dvd-on-nav, stealth-one and numerous other features.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default use what you want to use

I mean if you use those mirrors then it is good they came with the car. I just can't stand them, although the disable would be nice for the slight change I would change my mind.

I have to say though at the price point of the M3 (around $55,000) I would expect a lot more luxury from it. TT starts close to $10,000 cheaper. What do you get for that $10,000- 2 more cyl, upgraded engine components and some of the options you mentioned.

I am disapponted that Audi does not have more options like other car manufactures. I also not a HUGE fan of their all in one packages. Wish they seperated them up and allowed individial components- say Xenons without heated seats. I like both, but would have been nice to do one wihtout the other.

Plus it would allow people that would use automatic wiper, or tilting mirrors to get them if they so desire. I just don't think they make the car. There are definitly components missing that should be considered by Audi. I think that being said I can't discount Audis commitment to the future until the next model surfaces. The inline 6 is NOT a new model, just a flavor of the old.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wanted to ask you also how the M3 convertable handles compared to the coupe?

I love the look of the coupe- your red is very very nice. I want a convertible though, but only want a convertible that can handle very very well out of the box. Working out a deal for a Porsche C4S cab next year, but at the cost it might just be too much for X number of cars, one would have to go. The M3 convertible is a damn nice looking car, looks like it has the power I want, but not sure about the structure and how they got over the traditional flex without a top. Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Elder Member

Default m3 is not a luxury car ...

for $55k you get one of the best performance cars on the planet, imho ... (oh, and the m3 starts at $47k)

if you really don't see what the price difference buys you ... well ... then it's not the car for you. personally, i've put over $80k into my m3 and i'd still say it's a bargain.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Elder Member

i haven't driven the convertible ... sorry
Old 05-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Elder Member

so no one else has any opinions on this? hmm ... guess audi is right then

Quick Reply: so, the recent refresh of the mini made me wonder ...