TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Some more 3.2 TT test drive comments from the UK TTOC guys...

Old 08-03-2003, 04:38 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some more 3.2 TT test drive comments from the UK TTOC guys...

B3VES:

Launch control takes no time at all to engage. Traffic light grand prix, here we come!!!

It DOES feel faster than a standard 225, btw

Dean Southcombe:

on Today at 2:40pm, B3VES wrote:It DOES feel faster than a standard 225, btw

.......indeed it does and that's an understatement!.......IMHO

.......ok, just a few more points about yesterdays test drive, but please note that it won't be as technical and concise as scoTTy's! .......

DSG......what a system! There was one time where it was in D mode and I pushed it hard out of a corner, foot flat to the floor and it completeley unerved me as the rev counter needle travelled without pause, all the way up to the red line! The thing is, that the speedo needle was doing the same and I had to look twice at the DIS to make sure it was still in D and not in manual as there wasn't any sound or indication that it had actually changed through all the gears, it was that smooth!

S Mode.......anybody who runs their DSG in this mode on a daily basis will be waving goodbye to their license or even worse, write the car off all together! It is extreme to say the least just as the car mags had suggested. Track day only? Maybe not As scoTTy has mentioned before, it reacts to how hard and fast you depress the loud pedal and senses your urgency as if it was plugged into the back of your head Matrix style.......UNBELIEVEABLE!!! The amount of manual boxes on sports cars will dwindle as a direct result of this technology IMHO within the near future. It IS that good.......

Launch Control.......want to scare yourself silly and all those around you? Then instigate this puppy in Bristol town centre and hold on tight! The car propels you like no other (or seems to) and I've been in them all (well most, well almost). Nice addition to the toys at hand and extremely easy and quick to instigate.......

The Paddles.......quality feel as you expect from Audi and a definate movement and muted click to finish the micro-second procedure. Perfect deisgn and position. Changing gear succesfully and with ease half way through a corner will change the way you drive forever. I really enjoyed using the paddles to propel the car and it also let me bounce it off the red line without automatically changing up.......a sheer joy in use.......

THE SOUND.......no doubt, one of the biggest noticeable differences between 3.2 and 1.8T. It rock's! At idle you get just a hint, but hit the loud pedal and you get a rapsody of burrble all round. VERY impressive......On full chat it gives BIG grin factor.......

To sum up, it's all they said it would be and more. If you're a believer don't hesitate and get yourself behind the wheel (and paddles), if you aren't a believer, then don't step anywhere near it as it will be impossible to deny.......

WHAT A PACKAGE!!!!!!! Thank you Mr. Audi.......
Old 08-03-2003, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool
Old 08-03-2003, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Brad, any word on the new front end? Is it one piece or two?
Old 08-03-2003, 07:06 PM

Not sure. Martyn would probably know.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default dont know how they can be so giddy over a 250hp car?

no matter now good the DSG is...can it be any better than a chipped S4 lauching at 4k rpm's? weird...maybe 250hp feels like a lot to some :S

Good to see that there is some excitment over the car in the UK
Old 08-03-2003, 07:29 PM

Default The S4 was considered fast at 250, and with no shift time and always being in gear with a perfect

driver doing the shifts for you so to speak, then I think that yes, a car weighing about 400lbs less, and having a less dragging awd system and better suspension can feel quite nice.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:33 PM

Default And if I could add...

Those who have driven it are generally quite excited. Those who have not are mostly skeptical.

The answer? Drive a 3.2 when it hits our shores and make your own decision. FWIW, I tend to trust the opinions of actual drivers more than those who have not driven the car.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Altho the 3.2 is lacking in torque compared to the 2.7t, the TT is lighter than the S4.

I'm really surprised that 0-60 times are only around what a 225 can do. Just doesn't seem right. Have any of the UK owners done any G-Tech runs yet?
Old 08-03-2003, 08:04 PM

Default No UK guys are 3.2 owners just yet. They've only demoed at the dealerships...

Also, I'm getting the feeling that the 3.2 is conservatively rated. I also suspect that it's easier to get a consistent 0-60 speed rating w/the 3.2 vs. the 225 TT, which may require a high rpm clutch dump.

We'll see.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Really? Is Audi holding up the release for some reason?

There seem to be a bunch of impressions for no one actually owning the car yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some more 3.2 TT test drive comments from the UK TTOC guys...