TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Some useful information for Roadster owners, regarding the convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some useful information for Roadster owners, regarding the convertible top

I am going through the pain of having to get my top replaced and documented some of what I've learned so far. Hopefully, I can make it less painful for anyone else here that goes through this very unpleasant (and costly) experience.

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1547201.phtml" target="_blank">Soft top info thread</a>
Old 09-08-2006, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That is useful.>>>

I don't agree that there is a design flaw though, or that Audi has the responsibility to warn not to put objects in the area where the top retracts. If the window has to be constructed that way due to TUV requirements, then Audi has not made a design flaw. And keeping items out of the top stowage area is an owner common sense responsibility IMO since not all responsibility can or should be shifted to others.

In any event, I am happy to have a TTQC. Right from the introduction in the USA in 1999, I always liked its practical nature and its ptofile appearance above that of the Roadster. (It sort of reminded me of chopped and channeled 1950 Mercury coupe's done by George Barris.)
Old 09-08-2006, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Practicality never entered my mind when I bought a TT.

I bought it because it was a 2 seater convertible. I was replacing a Harley with it, so the less practical the better.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think you misinterpretted my point...

I didn't mean that the construction of the window being bonded into the soft top is a design flaw.

The fact is that when the top is up, there is ample storage in the "well" or rear sill area that can be utilized. Any low lying objects are very difficult to see in there. As to the inherent danger of an item present that can cause the glass to break, there should be a warning about this. I had a Mazda Miata with a glass window and never had this issue (I accidentally put the top down with items there by mistake on several occasions). The problem is that the power top is VERY strong and unforgivingly pushes the top flush into the well. A proper design would have blockage sensors (very cheap these days) that will prevent the top from retracting until cleared (with a dash warning light to give a clue).

I agree that the Coupe is a more attractive car. I love the sloping lines of the roof that integrate into the rear. But having that open-air feeling in the TT Roadster is really great, versus the dark cavern-like feel of the coupe (of course without the aftermarket sunroof). To each his own... I'd really like to own both!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I have to admit, it was a consideration for me too! I've since come to appreciate the

practicality more and more. It is a great daily driver and road tripper!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The top is hydraulically operated. Detecting a blockage, while at the same time not

falsely alarming is would be a VERY difficult task. I for one have never even considered putting something in that area. I didn't need a warning. On the flip side, I put my watch on my folded down top once. I found it because the top got stuck going up. The end result was one side of the band cut in half, the other side stretch/mangled, and the crystal totally shattered... So, they should put a warning not to put anything on top of a folded down top, too.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My point was simply that the top well is not a storage area.>>>

And, for all I know, Audi may have put some warning about that in the Owner's Manual for the TT Roadster.

Nevertheless,IMO, the auto owner has to take responsibility if an object placed by the owner causes damage. Not all responsibility can be shifted to other parties. Each person must take responsibility for his or her own actions.

It was good of you to post your experience to educate others about the potential for a problem.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The manual that came with the 2002 MY does warn not to store hard objects back there>>

That being said, I have kept a jacket and a blanket back there for more than 2 yrs. I also use that area to pack a couple changes of clothing when on roadtrips.

I guess the trick is to keep it soft, flat and even so that the window is supported evenly.

I used to have a Bazzooka subwoofer back there but decided that was pushing my luck and took it out.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Until the blockage sensor breaks & you can't put the top down & have to ...

... tear the interior apart to get to it for replacement.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting - my 2003 manual does have a very gentle subtle warning

It's the last item on a list of about a dozen. It basically says something like (to paraphrase) "Be sure to remove any items you have left on the rear shelf before lowering the top".

So certainly they expect that the shelf will be used. But what the heck kind of warning is that? They should say something more like this:

"DO NOT leave any objects in the rear shelf when lowering the top, as breakage of the rear window may result."

Quick Reply: Some useful information for Roadster owners, regarding the convertible top