TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Sorry, this may be a dumb question, however if the A4 and S4 have the "normal" quattro, how does

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 02:52 AM
N1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, this may be a dumb question, however if the A4 and S4 have the "normal" quattro, how does

this differ from the TT's Haldex version and are all of these Audi's a true awd or are they primarily a fwd vehicle until there is slippage and then power is sent to the back wheels? also, is the awd system in the WRX a true awd or is that a fwd until slippage type also?
Old 04-18-2001, 03:43 AM

Default Sounds like someone's getting brainwashed on the S4 board! ^^^^^

After a year, I can compare my TT to my wifes A4 Avant. The verdict:

- Haldex is MUCH better in the dry in the corners;
- Torsen & Haldex each have their benefits in the rain. You certainly don't 'notice' Torsen as much.
- I don't drive my TT in the snow.

'true awd'? If all four wheels drive a car, how can it not be 'true'?
Old 04-18-2001, 04:40 AM
Elder Member

Default Hey bud, I checked out the new Altima based on our conversation Monday....

240HP, Xenon headlamps, full independent suspension, looks pretty good. I was very surprised.

Looks like it's the on the new platform for the new Z. Confirm or deny?
Old 04-18-2001, 05:33 AM

Default "True AWD" drive depends on your definition of the term.

It's certainly not "traditional AWD" but it is permanent AWD (you can't disengage it). What it is is "Smart AWD". In a TT the Haldex it is biased towards FWD (although in other cars it can be biased towards RWD). There does not have to be any wheel slip before torque is directed towards the rear. For example, accelerating hard from a standing start will automatically direct torque to all 4 wheels. While cruising at constant speed, directing torque to the rear just increases fuel consumption, so all torque goes to the front.
Old 04-18-2001, 07:32 AM

Default WRX is 50/50 like Torsen, but Haldex is the superior system for front mounted motors...

10"s of slip before power is transferred is quite responsive.
Old 04-18-2001, 09:06 AM
N1

Default I have no idea, I know it is based on the future Maxima platform and the total length of the car is

close to or longer than the current Maxima! That is quite a substantial growth in size from the current bar of soap. I still think the front has a bit of a "taurus/civic" headlight treatment which I am not too happy about. If the pricing can be kept around $20K fully loaded (I'm talking about the VPP purchase plan) then I might have to trade my IS300 in and buy one of those before a WRX or TT . Having bought a rwd IS300 and having driven several Audi's and WRX's since my initial visits to audiworld, I am having second thoughts of buying anything that is fwd. There is still a lot of info on the car which has not been made avail. so it will be an interesting summer to see what the "right" car will be come this fall. I just hope my nasty IS300 will not depreciate in value so much that the only thing I can make a equal trade for is a Kia!