TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Starting from stop in 2005 TT DSG, and other DSG driving tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting from stop in 2005 TT DSG, and other DSG driving tips?

I noticed that this car feels different when at a stoplight than any car i have driven before. the car shakes a small bit once in awhile when at a light and foot is on brake, it also lags for a second when i let go of the brakes and hit the gas. is this normal for the DSG? also i noticed if i shift it into neutral at a light then back into drive when the light turns green the car doesnt shake ever, at all. is this an ok technique to use? shift into neutral at every light? any other DSG driving tips?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default DSG has a few quirks . . .

What you're experiencing seems fairly normal for the DSG. I notice that same slight shaking in mine at near-idle speed, and I've felt it in VW R32s as well. Slight hesitation on take-off is typical, too, especially if you're driving in automated mode (still can't bring myself to say "automatic"). I've found that you really have to finesse the throttle on DSG TTs. Shifting into manual mode seems to diminish some of that and also quickens throttle response. Don't know about shifting into and out of neutral; I just keep it in drive at stoplights. Overall, DSG isn't going to be as smooth as a conventional slush box, though some of the upshifts are almost imperceptible. There's a lot going on inside, and it's going to let you know it.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:25 PM

Default think of it as a manual

Wait a second after you release the brake for the clutch to engage before hitting the gas. The dsg has a clutch and needs a second to engage. You'll feel it engage. Once engaged, just hit it.

When stopping, it keeps shifting gears instead of going into neutral until stopped. I wouldn't shift it into neutral when stopped.

My only complaint with DSG is the same with all auto's- when you hit the gas hard it always downshifts. This is my first auto, and it's great-- just when I hit the gas I want it to go now.

Good luck with the car.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:10 AM

Default scheduled maintenance cost??

Hi all, just picked up a new 3.2 2005 TT and have to do the (55,000) scheduled maintenance in 2,000 miles. few questions. what does it typically cost? anything i should do in addition to it? can i go to a VW dealer and get it done cheaper since i know they are familiar with DSG, engine ect? my car is CPO AUDI certified, is scheduled maintenance included? and my car was certified about 500 miles ago, do they do all the scheduled maintenance at that time and would i be wasting my money bringing it in so soon for another one?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:13 AM

sorry, ment to post previous post separately in a new thread. thanks for your great answers guys!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My CPO Audi TT 3.2 DSG only has factory-covered maintenenace (oil changes) to 50,000 miles. After that, the CPO agreement covers stuff that breaks. You should have received a copy of the agreement when you purchased.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTmini
I noticed that this car feels different when at a stoplight than any car i have driven before. the car shakes a small bit once in awhile when at a light and foot is on brake, it also lags for a second when i let go of the brakes and hit the gas. is this normal for the DSG? also i noticed if i shift it into neutral at a light then back into drive when the light turns green the car doesnt shake ever, at all. is this an ok technique to use? shift into neutral at every light? any other DSG driving tips?
wow, I've never felt a "shake" at idle or otherwise. Mine is a 2006 3.2 though. The hesitation is a little bummer but I use manual mode and am used to it.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 AM

Hi all, after driving it for a week and getting used to it, it drives like a dream. no hesitation no shaking. its just takes some getting used to. and i figured out when on a steep incline, start off in manual mode and once moving shift over to drive mode.