TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Stick shift RIP? Interesting article...>>

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stick shift RIP? Interesting article...>>

<ul><li><a href="http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/02/27/stick-shift-rip/">Clicky...</a></li></ul>
Old 02-27-2006, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, stick &gt; most anything else, IMO
Old 02-27-2006, 08:37 AM

Hope not.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I wouldn't mind is the DSG hads a truly manual mode.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:56 AM

Default The automotive industry is hell bent on getting rid of the manual transmission...

I've read tons of articles in both automotive and engineering publications that support it. The problem is, they still have more drivetrain loss than the manual equivalent. Audi may have been trying to force that a little more on American society by only offering the 3.2 in DSG for the TT which was almost exclusively a manual car. The true drivers will always be opting for the manual if it's an option to minimize the drivetrain loss and to have the ultimate control. The clutch is a handy thing to have for a lot of driving situations. I'm still not sure why they are so set on getting rid of it. They better start putting significantly higher hp engines in to make up for the loss.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with you on the hp loss. But over here, we are programmed to use the auto...>>

Most sports cars sold here usually have an auto tranny.

I bet if you asked 10 people off the street if they can use a manual, 8 would say no and don't want to learn.

Sad, very sad...:-/
Old 02-27-2006, 09:07 AM

Default Emissions and small audience

The primary reason automakers are moving away from manual transmissions is because of emission/pollution regulations in most countries are tightening. The automaker has less control over emissions from a manual transmission car than one equipped with a computer controlled device, i.e. automatic and manumatic.

The second reason is demand for manual transmissioned cars is falling in most markets. Many car owners live in urban areas with traffic and do not want the inconvenience of a manual. I've always enjoyed hearing of attempted carjacking stories where the carjacker could not drive the car because it had a manual transmission. Unfortunately, the Audiworld group, and the lkike, constitute a very small percentage of the overall car buying audience.

-J
Old 02-27-2006, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think DSG has significantly more drivetrain loss than the 6-speed

It's not a slushbox, it's got a clutch (well, two). The transmission itself is the same as the 6-speed in the manual transmission cars.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I knew a guy going to Auto Tech Training who had never driven a manual
Old 02-27-2006, 09:29 AM

Default They can have my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand

Only in the US do you find such a high percentage of automatic transmissions. IMO it doesn't matter how great of a system they make driving a standard is a passion and connection with the car itself. I enjoy the revs, downshifting, the braking - all of which I don't need a computer to do for me. The manual transmission isn't going anywhere...and if it is just another reason why I'll hang on to my 6-speed TT :-)

Quick Reply: Stick shift RIP? Interesting article...>>