TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Suspension Blocks not removed at PDI - 50K miles Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Suspension Blocks not removed at PDI - 50K miles Damage?

Hey everybody, been a long time since I've posted here. Hope all is well.

Anyway, after 4-years and 50K miles on my 2nd TT (2003 TTQ coupe), it went in to the dealer for maintenance. During the service, the techs discovered that my original dealer (Advantage Audi, Loma Linda - now defunct), never removed the suspension shipping blocks during PDI!

I had even mentioned to the original dealer that the front suspension travel seemed limited, but they told me that is was the result of the higher unsprung weight or the larger wheels.

So for 4 years and 50K, my front suspension travel has been significantly reduced/locked.

I've contacted Audi, and they have been less than helpful. I've asked them to extend the warranty on my TT since I believe that having the suspension blocks left in the car could have significantly reduced the life-span of the front suspension components, including parts subjected to stresses they would have not otherwise seen in normal operation.

The Audi Advocate, in talking with their field rep, state that the suspension blocks could not affect suspension wear or cause other failures. I asked that Audi put this in writing, and they of course declined. The Advocate also declined to extend the warranty, essentially giving me the big finger. No option to escalate, only the option to write the North American executive office.

Now then, I'm no suspension expert, but you it's a tough pill to swallow that driving with those suspension blocks for 50K isn't going to take a toll on other aspects of the car. Every time the suspension bashes into those stops, that energy has to go someplace. That someplace could be the bushing, shock-towers, arms, etc. or even the frame of the car.

So now I'm stuck with what my next move is. I'll certainly write the executive office, but I'm wondering if it would be worth having a independent evaluate the issue.

Has anyone here run into this issue with the suspension blocks? Was Audi helpful at all? Any other comments?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-22-2007, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the first time we've heard of this. >>>

I'm surprised at Audi's response. Or I should say, at least that they're not willing to document their assertion that damage isn't possible. Or should I say I'm not surprised at all?

I think you've articulately (and quite proportionately) assessed your concerns, and up through the right chain of command; some folks go off the deep end and demand too much, which you've not done.

Corporations seem increasingly to use the 'ignore them until they wear down and go away' modality of customer relations. It's a shame. I believe this is another case of running the numbers, and as long as fresh customers come in, the company feels it can afford to alienate a certain number of loyalists before the numbers tip to the negative.

It's a lousy way to run a business that's based on reputation.

I hope your posting here will uncover some fellow 'blocked' travelers. I think your plan to have an indie look at it wouldn't carry any water with Audi, though. But it might alleviate some of your concerns.

And sorry I can't help -- although our A4 Avant has ridden so roughly since delivery that I'm going to check yet again that the blocks aren't still there on ours!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well in the end you've been deprived use/value: performance you paid a high price for >

That ought to be worth something.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default most of the impact would of been absorbed by the strut tower bushings, tires and blocks themselves.

i can't understand their stance, a set of strut tower bushings/bearings would of been nice/cheap. but i doubt the frame of the car or the hard pieces would of degregaded. i'm surprised you didn't crush the blocks.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default If the tire is prevented from moving up, say from a pot-hole...

that energy must go someplace. While some will no doubt be transferred to the suspension blocks and strut towers, the fact that the tire can't "roll over" the hole/bump/etc. makes me think that the lower/upper arms are also going to take a huge amount of backward moving force. That could possibly translate into pre-mature bushing wear, or perhaps even the potential for a catastrophic failure of a suspension piece.

With the suspension locked, any small bump was like trying to drive over a curb. When I would exit the freeway near my house, the small drainage area at the base of the ramp would cause one heck of a racket unless I literally crawled over it. With the blocks gone, I'd never even had known it was there...
Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 PM

Hey, what's the status on the diff?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi sucks. The fact that you mentioned it previously and got a bs response irks me even more.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hopefully I pick it up tomorrow! >

broken down Wednesday, back together today, back in the car by now and test drive tomorrow. if it all shakes out, by this time tomorrow my separation anexity will be over and I'll have a huge smile on my face! Still need time to break in the clutch of course, but looking forward to the drive back from the shop. Only thing left is to settle up the damages...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

and where are your pics - did i miss them?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:37 PM

Default check my pic poster - 2 of them in there.

Not that great pics, and not that clean, considering that the dealer just prepped it! Or maybe that's why :-( Anyway, we had a spring thaw yesterday - let's just say it now, so I did what I had to do, and now it looks "the way it should" :-)

Quick Reply: Suspension Blocks not removed at PDI - 50K miles Damage?