TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Suspension woes again.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension woes again.

So more than a month ago I had new tires and wheels put on. The ride and handling were awesome and much, much improved over the OEM 17" setup. A few weeks later I installed new pads and rotors (local shop did the work). The moment I drove away after the brake job was done, the car was not the same. There is a vibration eminating somewhere. I had another shop look at the wheels and tires. Everything is fine except no wheel weights on the left rear. Tires check out new and no tread separation. Rotors are not warped because I have no wobbling or vibration when braking.

I took my vacation a couple weeks ago and at speed, the car was scary to drive. Above 70mph, things felt really loose. Seems like the right side is vibrating at 60mph and above. At 80mph, it is scary to drive and a real loose feeling in the steering wheel. When I had the wheels and tires put on, I did not get an alignment. The shop told me it was not necessary, even if I did have a new rim width of 18x8 over OEM sizing. Tires are 225/40/18(Kumho Ecsta SPT). I somewhat agree with the mechanic not needing an alignment, but not totally convinced. I spoke with the shop that did my brakes about my car handling differently, and they don't have any clues why this is happening, and I am at a total loss figuring this one out. No wheels are bent, tires are fine, new shocks less than a year ago, new tie rods also. Car does seem to want to pull right ever so slightly, but that just may be the pavement and I am not paying attention to that. Mileage is currently at 87k. Redo all ball joints, bushings, etc...?

Any guesses on this one anyone?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1. get car in air

1. get car in the air. check for any loose components. Check for broken or damaged components.

2. have all 4 wheels Road Force Balanced. The dealer can do this but there are other indie shops that can do it as well.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default missing hub centric rings?

Most aftermarket wheels use inserts to match their center hole to the cars hub. One of mine fell out the other day while I was changing wheels. This could have happened during your brake work. Without it the wheel will run offcenter. One or both fronts missing could account for your symptoms.
Also, (probably not the cause, but) it's pretty rare for a wheel/tire to balance perfectly with no weights.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2nd might be missing the rings. You can go w/o them but you have to pay close attention as to...

centering them. Most wheel shops don't they just use a air gun and let the bolts center the wheel. I put mine on carefully and got 3 out of 4 wheels centered. one cause the vibration at speed that you described. The wheels only have to be slightly off center when tightening them and you've got wobble. if you don't have the rings, you'll be happier if you got them. If you do already have them???
Good luck.

Mark
Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Suspension woes again.

I know this advice is somewhat late, but have it aligned. The brake work plus the new tire and rim sizing means the 4-point alignment is almost certainly off, especially if it's pulling to the right.