TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Test drive number one, four to go...

Old 02-15-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drive number one, four to go...

Was such a beautiful day today that I decided to go to a Nissan dealership and just look at the new Z. I was upfront with the salesperson on my quest, and a totally laid back salesman. very nice to see this for a change and not the grabby needy twits that most lots hire. Anyway, look at the car for maybe a half hour and went through all the options. Later the guy asks if I would like to take a test drive. I said, "sure, but only if you understand I won't buy anything today because I have a little more comparing to do". So, he was good with that and in I went to the Z. The interior is a mile ahead of last years model. Alcantara on the doors, nice dash material, and gone are much of the cheap plastic pieces on the front dash. Seat bolstering is nice, but I would like a little more around me to hug my love handles. Got onto the road and up to the first light, and low and behold, the first contender in a Toyota TC thinking he's got a badass car. I just about choked at the insanity that he would even think of throwing down a challenge...which I never would and especially with the salesman riding along! LOL!

Anyway, onto the freeway with a little quick blip chican entry and I was already doing 70. Trimmed it down and headed to the off ramp for an excursion of turns. Back onto the freeway on a nice little sweeping banked on ramp and punched it, but not yet to redline and up to 100 quickly. Off the freeway now and into city streets and took the next route ordered by the salesman up a familiar stretch. Goosed it and through a 35mph area doing 85. Yikes! We both laughed as the salesman flipped up the console reserved for the navigation(which this car did not have yet) and he said this compartment is for where you store your speeding tickets. Nice! All the while driving like I stole it, never did it feel twitchy. Felt very flat on its feet and never any under or oversteer. Gobs of power left. Smooth over rough pavement even with 19's on, yet still exhibiting a firm sports car demeanor. Comfortable interior, pleasing body lines, good power(yet would maybe want a skoshe more). This years Z is a complete change from last year. I've driven both now and never liked the way the older Z handled. Seemed too jittery. Todays drive was much different and very pleased with the outcome. Now comes the Cayman, Solstice, Z4M, and Elise.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good report; keep 'em coming.

I will need to be replacing the TT at some point in the not-so-distant future and I predict my short list will look very similar to yours.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice write up. Keep em coming as you go!
Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default exactly what i was expecting....

the 370z seems to be, on all accounts...a VASTLY superior car to the old, vile, 350z.

nice review, man.

so the question is....would you ever consider actually buying the 370z?

i think it's a great car....i'd like to drive it....but i have a feeling if my money were on the line----i'd NEVER buy one.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have the exact same feeling...

Nice on paper, compares well to others . . . but I'd never put money down for it, not with the other contenders out there
Old 02-15-2009, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds nice....

and nice list of cars.

As an Elise owner, I have to tell you that the Elise is an amazing car. I would caution you though......The Elise may not be the best choice if it is going to be used for anything other than a "toy".....but on the flip side, for about $4k, you can drop in a supercharger and make the car ridiculous........I did........
Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Very cool. On paper they have fixed the 350Z issues. Curious on your >>>

opinion on the Z4MC. Its like the dark side of sports cars ... have had mine for over a year (20K miles), lots of track time and still loving it.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:00 PM

Default Re: exactly what i was expecting....

Too early to answer that yet, but I can tell you that my gut feeling is to go with something a little more exclusive. The Z will be pretty common, but is it really important to be set apart from the crowd? When comparing apples to oranges, things like warranty, used mileage, performance and a host of other details will obviously win out the decision. In answer to your question if I would buy a Z, then yes, I would if it won over in most categories. I don't like the 3/36 warranty Nissan has. I'd be more enticed with a 5/50. Extended warranties surely, but I'm talking $36k limit too.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I saw my first one on the road yesterday. Not bad from what I saw.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default " Comfortable interior, pleasing body lines, good power(yet would maybe want a skoshe more). " says

:not in my garage. A good sportscar, but might as well be a an Altima. I think you'll quickly forget about it once you drive the Cayman and Z4M. Great write-up but I didn't sense any passion. This (370Z) is not your next car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test drive number one, four to go...